Vehicle recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My defender 90 could fit 4 sets of doubles, 4 deco bottles, and kit for 2 divers.
Cons: its old, it sucks gas like a defender, and there is no point in locking it.
Pretty much a bad choice.

My LR3 can easily take that plus scooters and still have room.
Used ones a cheap, and in 80k miles we have had no issues.

Hello people, he said trucks and closed vans are not an option. That leaves, well...ah...nothing.

Lol, not really. There's no direct replacement for the Element but it appears SUVs whose seats are bolted in place may work. I'd have to have a custom plate of some sort made to create a flat floor with multiple tie down points, but it doesn't seem impossible. The difficulty and time to remove the seats is an open question.

Research continues.

Plus there's always the small dive trailer option, though I'd really hate it.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2012 at 02:57 PM ----------

People have really gotten soft.

I think the Donner party would have liked that.

Last edited:
Toyota FJ Cruiser. Tie downs hold tanks. Goes anywhere. 20 mpg. Trouble Free. Will carry 4 divers.

My buddy had a Forrester but said it couldn't support enough gear for two scooter divers on a multiday trip. I never tried it so I can't speak from personal experience.

we use larry's jeep liberty. it is smaller than most in the thread, but we take 4 sets of 95s, 3 makos, 4 al72s, 2 al80s, a week's worth of clothes apiece, and a partridge in a pear tree to nfl every couple of months.

we use larry's jeep liberty. it is smaller than most in the thread, but we take 4 sets of 95s, 3 makos, 4 al72s, 2 al80s, a week's worth of clothes apiece, and a partridge in a pear tree to nfl every couple of months.
I have a Dodge Caliber, which I think is around the same size or might even share a frame with the Jeep. I've fit 2 sets of 104's, 4 stages, 4 deco bottles, 2 standard body Gavins, misc gear, and suitcase with care packing....and still nearly hit 30mpg :)

3797_551632054795_3973337_n.jpg

The Caliber is front wheel drive, so I'm sure it doesn't share a frame with the Liberty. The Nitro does, though. How bad does the Caliber squat under that load?

I had two rebreathers and applicable bailout (AL40s) in a C6 Corvette one afternoon. Was getting 28mpg @ 85mph. :)

Well Zen, congrats on the the Buru.........I submit that the Toyota would be much better.....more weight carrying capacity, better 4wd capabilities, and if you live in snow country, the Buru has such low ground clearance that it can high center. Never mind, I see you're in Florida.....still, the FJ has a rubber lined cargo area, is designed for outdoor type pursuits, seats, floors, cargo area, off road capabilities, power, mpg......plus more people room. I know its your choice and you have to live with it.....be safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom