Vehicle/Boat Charger for Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Violet Crumble!

Does she use the Australian catalog Company?
They are expensive, but they have EVERYTHING!!!!

Lal, and Roo.
Seriously, Im headed home in Jan for a month, so If you do need anything, just cooee.

Dave

Thanks ill let her know about that.Im sure she will find it before i even have a chance to tell her.Or she will make me take her to san fran for the weekend.

My bad....i meant lollies..did i say candy...hehe :rolleyes:

She still cant find a place that serves beatrid(not sure if i spelled it right nor do i even know what it is) on her burger .The first few months every burger stand we went to she asked for it.Unfortunately all she got was strange looks and asked if she was from around here.I think she finally gave up.

ROFLMAO

She is not alone Lal, I miss BEETROOT as well, A Burger just aint right without it!

Dave

lal7176 once bubbled...
Now she wants Aussie made mayonaise.She says ours is dull with no taste...lol.
Hahaha! I have a Canadian friend who was fined while trying to smuggle Canadian mayonaisse [sp?] into Australia for the same reason!

Sorry to get this thread back on track but why do you need a charger if the battery is 12V just hook it up with some wires. Put an ammeter in between the first few times you use it if the charge rate is about 1/10 the battery capacity it should work fine a little more is OK for shorter times.

Will only work when the vehicle is running you need since you need a little extra to push the charge in thats why 12V auto batteries charge at 14V.

Maha chargers say they will work on off a car but only will charge 8V bttereies that way for above reason.

Check out this company-they've got a great selection of batteries and chargers:

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

I'm assuming you're still here in the States.

DNAXdiver once bubbled...
Sorry to get this thread back on track but why do you need a charger if the battery is 12V just hook it up with some wires. Put an ammeter in between the first few times you use it if the charge rate is about 1/10 the battery capacity it should work fine a little more is OK for shorter times.

Will only work when the vehicle is running you need since you need a little extra to push the charge in thats why 12V auto batteries charge at 14V.

Maha chargers say they will work on off a car but only will charge 8V bttereies that way for above reason.

DNAX,
I could do that, but Im looking for a "Travel" option. I dont want to have to rig a temp solution up in a rental car, and have to time it/watch it etc.
I want to be able to plug it into the cigarette lighter and forget about it without overcharging or buckling plates etc.

This is a vacation situation (sort of) I am trying to resolve.
Simplicity is the key.

Dave

Ahhhhhh........

What is simpler than a 4' wire with a cigarette lighter plug on one end and some alligator clips on the other? If anyone has come up with a easier solution let me know but it sounds to me like most of the responders don't even understand what you are asking for with all their talk of this or that chargers which WILL NOT WORK off a car. A SLA is basciallly the same as the battery in the car or boat, so you just hook up your battery in parallel and let them charge together the cars voltage rgulator takes care of everything and the big car battery acts as a buffer to protect the little SLA if the charging rate is too high just add a 25¢ diode on one side it will not only protect against hooking up the wrong way but cut the charge down by 1/2v or so.

You do understand charging don't you if you provide the battery with the right voltage it will take only as much as it needs just like a laboratory rat eats overchraging only happens when the supply voltage is allowed to rise to high but the big battery protects against that.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

DNAX,
I could do that, but Im looking for a "Travel" option. I dont want to have to rig a temp solution up in a rental car, and have to time it/watch it etc.
I want to be able to plug it into the cigarette lighter and forget about it without overcharging or buckling plates etc.

This is a vacation situation (sort of) I am trying to resolve.
Simplicity is the key.

Dave

Gee, thanks for those condescending remarks, Im sure we are all better off for it.

Pity, because the content of your post was on the right track.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom