Various dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah well, hablo mucho espanol since I lived in Honduras for three years thanks to Uncle Sam and have been married to a Hondurena for 20. But what I was thinking about was to fly down there about midday and get a taxista to find me a place for the night. That's usually worked most places I've been. They'll usually put you up at their place. If nothing else, I've slept under trees and in rice paddies so that wouldn't bother me too much. In the meantime I could arrange a dive op for the next day as one poster suggested and try different places to stay as I go along. I mean the whole freaking place can't be rented up all the time. Probably the low season would work out best. Then take it on a daily basis, signing up with various ops in the afternoon for the next day's diving. That way I could dive with more than one op. I'm not too serious about time so I could buy a flight ticket with an open end or pay the extra bucks to rearrange my return flight. Maybe stay for a few weeks or a month like that.

The Hotel part is not a problem except during Carnival. There are many small local hotels in town but they will not have many services, just a bed and toilet.

Dive op-- min. the day before or early morn for a pm dive.

Something to remember, it's Carnival time in Coz feb 14 - 21, so yes the whole place can get booked up. That and it is high season.

Ahh Lou, you beat me to it :)

OK. Bed and toilet and place to wash up. What more could you ask for? Don't answer. That and stay out of town during Carnival. Right. I think I'll try it. Let you all know how it worked out. Thank you all for the input.

Can not disagree with anything you've said, but why??...btw, you can do everything you've stated by making reservations states side( @several different hotels & dive shops).......My wife taught me long ago it's better to be safe than sorry......Can you buy a one way ticket to CZM anyway???...I don't know, but in (some) Central American countries I have visited & become familiar with, you can't.....good luck... be sure & bring your laptop & report back when you do go, will be interesting to see how 'it goes'....

Why? I'ts like the mountain. Why climb it? Because it's there. Actually it's because I don't want to be tied down to one dive operator or place of lodging. I want to try several of them and paying in advance with reservations would prohibit this. I did this a lot when I was traveling around Honduras and south east Asia and it worked out fine there and hopefully it will be the same in Cozumel. I know that most people would feel more secure if their arrangements were made ahead of time so that they wouldn't have any worries when they get to their destination but that isn't how I think. I always look at the other side of the coin. If I wanted secure I'd take a cruise.

Sounds like fun. I think you'll be fine if you speak Spanish. There are lots of very modest accommodations in town but sometimes English isn't spoken really, really well at them. I never thought of asking a taxi driver to find a spot for me. They probably all have contacts/amigos at one place or another they'd like to support. Your profile shows that you are a new diver; I guess the only thing I'd flag is that some ops may want to put you on a boat with divers of similar experience until they are able to assess your ability UW. So I'd try and give each op a few days for them to show you their stuff unless you really and truly hate them at first sight. If you're there for a month, that should work out well and allow you to try a few.

I would doubt that there is any day in the year when all rooms for rent on the island are at 100% occupancy and all dive operators are 100% booked. Even on New Year's Eve you can find a room somewhere in NYC, just not likely in the Time Square area, Midtown or any of the better parts of Manhattan.

Since there are several smaller dive operators who don't have office or storefront locations, you might want to do some online searches and put together a list before you go. That will give you more options should you need them.

Have a good time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom