Vancover Island divers get together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Katie, how about an update on the china creek wrecks. depth , surface swim distance all that stuff please, I've never been and have been getting questions from interested locals who want to come down ty in advance Mike

Hey Katie, how about an update on the china creek wrecks. depth , surface swim distance all that stuff please, I've never been and have been getting questions from interested locals who want to come down ty in advance Mike

The wreck is sitting on a fairly decently sloped (and silty) bottom. The wreck sits upright. The stern is in about 50'-60' and the bow is in about 120'-130'. Unfortunately very little life has taken hold in the years since its sinking - but it is still a pretty decent sized wreck accessible from shore.

It is a fair surface swim. If your standing on shore at China Creek looking across the inlet, the wreck lies towards the right hand side of the bay. The best bet is usually to swim out somewhere in the middle, descend to 50', turn right and follow the slope until you hit the wreck. I can't remember the ideal campsite number to swim out from, maybe Katie will know.

The wall at China Creek is not a bad dive either. A fair number of rockfish, as well as some octos and wolf eels. I've seen sea lions on the wall more than a few times. If you swim a ways there is a wall with a bunch of boot sponges. If you swim even further (way further) there is an old industrial dump site (with a sunk skiff) and a tonne of octos hiding in amongst the debris. The best dive is to bring a scooter and dive the wreck and wall in the same dive!

ok the ideal campsite is #40,for the wrecks. 5 of us from campbell river went down, and all 5 of us went and did the dives. wreck was ok, wall was great octos and wolfeels , even a small wolfeel coiled up in a boot sponge ! vis was a good 30+ once you get down 15ft or so. had a great day Mike

Back
Top Bottom