Vancouver Island visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grf88

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be visiting my son on Hornby Island during the last 2 weeks of September and hope to get some diving in. I have rented and RV so the plan is to stay on Hornby for a week and then tour Vancouver Island the second week. It is a family vacation so I will only be able to get a few dives in and would like to know what you guys recommend. What temperature can I expect the water to be at depth so I know what underwear to bring. I am an experienced recreational diver and novice technical diver with about 450 or so dives. I dive the lakes so am used to cooler water and have been to Newfoundland a few times so also have experience with bl00dy cold water.

Thanks,

Glenn

If you're on Hornby already, you'll want to try looking for the six gills with Hornby Island Diving. As for other suggestions, it really depends on how much traveling you and your family are prepared to do. There is great diving all around the Island - from Victoria up to Port Hardy.

With your skills, you could do some of the local wrecks (nearby Campbell River or Nanaimo), or try some awesome diving up north around Port Hardy.

Let us know what interests you have and how much traveling you want to do, and I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions from this forum.

You can also look at Scuba Diving Vacations In British Columbia for an idea of what's around the area, and then ask more specific questions.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Thanks Cooldives. Port Hardy might be a little more travelling than my family will want but certainly Campbell River. I like all diving but my passion is wrecks. Do charter operators have mid-week charters at this time of year. I will also check out your link.
Thanks again.

If you end up in Nanaimo, I'd highly recommend the Diver's Choice boat. We spent three days on it last year, and had a WONDERFUL time. The wrecks were pleasant, but the walls were spectacular.

If you're on Hornby already, you'll want to try looking for the six gills with Hornby Island Diving.
How many 6 gill sightings have you heard about in the last 3 years or so, especially in late September? Hornby has some good diving which should not be missed but 6 gills are as common as unicorns these days at least around Flora Islet. For 6 gills I hear Tahsis is the place to go these days

I hear stories about 6 gills being at Whytecliffe Park as well but I have never seen one. As to mid-week charters, it's hard to tell. You need to contact them in advance to see if/when they are going out, and their mimimum # of divers. You can always post on a forum like this to see if you can find anyone else to make up the numbers.

TSand M is right about Divers Choice - I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. Same with Abyssal across on Quadra Island.

Thanks Cooldives. Port Hardy might be a little more travelling than my family will want but certainly Campbell River. I like all diving but my passion is wrecks. Do charter operators have mid-week charters at this time of year. I will also check out your link.
Thanks again.

Temp is between 12-15 degrees..

Discovery Pass (Campbell River) has some of the best diving on the island. Give Bill at Pacific Pro Dive a call and see if he can get a mid week in for you. You wont regret it. Tell him you want to see April Point Wall. :wink:

If you want wrecks, do the Cape Breton and the Sack. out of Nanaimo they easy to get to and are covered with life.

Good Luck and have fun...
O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom