Vancouver area viz conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few of us were out on the Topline yesterday, and the viz was BAD! About 5 feet or less at Christie Islet, and not much better around Anvil Island. Below 60 feet, it opened up to about 20 feet or so. The charter that went out Saturday had bad viz also, and I heard Whytecliff had bad viz yesterday. So it sounds like our annual spring algae bloom has started, so expect bad viz for the next 2 weeks or so. :(

Nice to see this thread alive again since August 2009!!!! Viz at Cultas lake Sunday April 1st about 10-15ft. There was another viz thread around too that Mike B started I think. March 2010 was the last entry on that one.

Viz at Kelvin Grove on Sunday was less than 10ft in the first 40-50 feet of depth, and opened up to about 20-25ft at the 90 foot mark or so.

The usual caveat applies that I suck at estimating viz.

It's not bad viz, it's a good time for macro photography. :)

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Viz wasn't too bad at whytecliff today. I think it cleared up to around 30 feet at depth around the plumose gardens!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Yup, Viz has definitely improved. Had a couple of very nice dives in Howe Sound today, the life is starting to come out after a winter of starving. I would say about 5-10 ft viz in the top 30 ft, but gradually opens up as you get deeper, at 60 ft depth, viz was probably 40 ft. Viz at least 60+ ft at 100 ft depth.

And back down the viz goes again. 5-10 feet in the first 50 feet of Porteau. Slightly better below 50 feet, didn't get too deep beyond that today.

Did manage some good macro photos, though! :)

And back down the viz goes again. 5-10 feet in the first 50 feet of Porteau. Slightly better below 50 feet, didn't get too deep beyond that today.

Did manage some good macro photos, though! :)

Agreed! Did a couple of dives in Howe Sound, same thing, only 5-10 ft viz in top 40 ft. It did start to open up below that. Viz was actually good (but dark!) by 90 feet.

Anyone been out (very) recently. Thinking of heading out to kelvin and/or ansel this weekend.

On Sunday in Howe Sound top 35 ft was 2-5ft but below that at the Halkett sponge gardens was at least 60 ft. Halkett wall about the same. I also heard Porteau was only about 5 ft down to 40ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom