Valve Stuck On Al80 Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and if anyone knows how to cut a valve in half, let me know.
Use a saw, preferably with a metal blade. Hacksaw, Sawzall, bandsaw. The brass tends to do evil things to chop saws.
If you happen to have access to a mill, and someone who can safely operate it, that makes a nice cut away.

Use a saw, preferably with a metal blade. Hacksaw, Sawzall, bandsaw. The brass tends to do evil things to chop saws.
If you happen to have access to a mill, and someone who can safely operate it, that makes a nice cut away.
Yeah, I have a metal blade that I use for metal pipes there I want a 90 degree cut. I'll have to look at thin, strong blades for it maybe. I want a very clean cut through the handle of a tank valve to show the insides. Same as for a dead first stage.

The best way is to use a mill and a slitting saw. Holding the parts in just the right angle to get the cut is sometimes the most difficult part. You need to disassemble the reg/valve before cutting it and it makes a much better job if you enlarge most oring areas so the orings don't bunch when you reassemble the part.

@herman

Thanks! I figured my current tools would not do the trick (two miter, worm drive, reciprocating, jig).

maybe a hack saw? I kid, I kid.

I’ll ask around in my area. Thanks for the info.

I do them for a few bucks if you are not in a hurry.
I'm in no hurry. Can mail them next week when I mail the other valves and my dry suit to be worked on. I'll send you a message.

@herman

Thanks! I figured my current tools would not do the trick (two miter, worm drive, reciprocating, jig).

maybe a hack saw? I kid, I kid.

I’ll ask around in my area. Thanks for the info.

You might talk to George Potts (who recently retired from 8 Diving). I believe he had some regulators that he dissected for training purposes. He might be able to cut a valve in half as well.

You might talk to George Potts (who recently retired from 8 Diving). I believe he had some regulators that he dissected for training purposes. He might be able to cut a valve in half as well.
I heard the "bad" news. He has been a great resource in the area. I'll ask him about that as well, but I'll probably just mail them to @herman, as it is easier for me to go to the post office than Des Moines.

Back
Top Bottom