Valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a dive to use up the rest of my air in my twins, so barely got any air left, have to drain it anyway for some nitrox fills :wink: But fair enough that it is not necessary, I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

If it has only been 3 months, you're probably over tightening. While you have things apart, just replace all worn items and start with everything new. Otherwise the next most worn piece will be the thing that makes it all start to leak in another 3 months. The tank would only need drained if you were replacing the valve seat.

If it has only been 3 months, you're probably over tightening. While you have things apart, just replace all worn items and start with everything new. Otherwise the next most worn piece will be the thing that makes it all start to leak in another 3 months. The tank would only need drained if you were replacing the valve seat.

What is it that is being overtightened that would cause such a leak when the valve is open?

Hmm would this have not occured to other tanks I've owned then? Perhaps it could have been from a knock? Just trying to figure out what might have caused it so I don't do it again.

Anyway, going to fix it tomorrow (I hope!) :)

It wasn't caused by over tightening. I am thinking the gland nut either loosed up or was not tightened enough when the valve was assembled, stuff happens.

Easy fix, buy rebuild kit and a few minutes to install.

I will go with it got knocked or it was not tightened at the factory correctly.
Make sure to have them check the stem is not bent.

I took it to a shop today and now know how to check and fix this. The right post was missing a derlin washer (why, I don't know, must have come like that as valves have not been taken apart), the valve was wobbly and the o-ring was in really bad shape also. Spindle was not bent. All fixed up, took a few minutes. I am going to buy a manifold kit so I have some for my spare parts kit.

Thanks for the help!

I took it to a shop today and now know how to check and fix this. The right post was missing a derlin washer (why, I don't know, must have come like that as valves have not been taken apart), the valve was wobbly and the o-ring was in really bad shape also. Spindle was not bent. All fixed up, took a few minutes. I am going to buy a manifold kit so I have some for my spare parts kit.

Thanks for the help!

I didn't mention it but the thought crossed my mind that a washer could have accidently been left out during assembly. Even new stuff can be improperly made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom