Valve insert/donut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about ScubaPro and Apeks Yoke regulators? These are compatible to 3442 psi tank pressure?

In addition, if you buy the new regulator and have to use both valve configurations, do you buy Yoke or DIN set up the first? Which way is better to start with Yoke or DIN? I know there is a conversion kit though.

Thanks,

DA Aquamaster:
That depends on the yoke. Really old yokes were only rated to a bit over 2500 psi to meet the requirements of the 2250/2475 psi steel 72's of the day. They were beefed up later to handle 3000 and 3300 psi tanks. Even with 3000 psi rated yokes though there are two flavors with the early ones being significantly lighter in construction than the later heavy 3000 and 3300 psi yokes. I have seen a few yokes with "4000 psi" stamped on the yoke as well.

So 3442 psi is no big deal for a yoke rated at 4000 psi or even for a heavy yoke conservatively rated at 3300 psi. But with an older, lighter yoke, 3442 psi would blow it right off the valve.

I sure as heck hope so since my 104s have seen a 4000 psi fill once and often see 3600 psi.

My response would be get DIN, but that's just me and I own my own tanks. I can always take the DIN connection off and put the Yoke connection back on in a couple of minutes should I need a reg for a trip where you use their tanks.

It depends on which you use more often. If its a yoke, get a yoke reg and 232 BAR DIN valve on you tank with the insert. You can always buy the DIN converter later. I don't really care for the Yoke adapter as it prutrudes out farther than either pure DIN or yoke when mated with a DIN regulator. I would just stick to a 232 BAR DIN valve for single tanks. If you want to go doubles and overfill, I would buy a 300 BAR manifold.

hoosier:
How about ScubaPro and Apeks Yoke regulators? These are compatible to 3442 psi tank pressure?

In addition, if you buy the new regulator and have to use both valve configurations, do you buy Yoke or DIN set up the first? Which way is better to start with Yoke or DIN? I know there is a conversion kit though.

Thanks,

One thing to remember when you jackpump these steel tanks is the increased stress and wear that energizing a 3600 - 4000psi tank puts on the first stage. But since all you reading this post religiously service or have your regulators serviced, then this is a moot point.

hoosier:

Thanks,

Current/recent production Scubapro yokes are rated for use up to 232 bar so they will work at 3442 psi.

I am not sure about Aqua Lung/Apeks regs. They state that DIN connections are available for tank pressures over 3000 psi, but they do not really state in their literature what pressure the yoke is rated for.

If you go with a 300 bar DIN connection on your regulator you can connect to either 232 or 300 bar DIN valves. You can also screw on a yoke adapter for standard yoke valves. But these adapters cause the reg to protrude a half inch or so farther than a regular yoke so they are ok for occasional use but would not be ideal if you dive primarily with standard yoke valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom