Valve insert/donut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
It is a kind of newbie question.

Can any 200 bar DIN valves be converted to Yoke valve with this insert or donut (whatever you called). http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/thermo.shtml

Is there any size difference on the insert depending on the DIN valve brands?

“Some tanks have a valve with a "donut" in them. If the donut is in, the tank has a yoke valve. Unscrew the dunut with an allen/hex wrench and you have a DIN connector (no need to drain tank)”

Thanks in advance,

Can any 200 bar DIN valves be converted to Yoke valve with this insert or donut (whatever you called).

You do not convert the regulator, you are changing the valve. Removing the insert allows the use of any DIN connection regulator.

It is my bad. I need to clear up my question.....:wink:

My question is

Can any regular 200 bar DIN valve on the tank be converted to Yoke valve with the insert?
I know Pro valve (K/DIN) can be used in both ways.

Leadking:
Can any 200 bar DIN valves be converted to Yoke valve with this insert or donut (whatever you called).

You do not convert the regulator, you are changing the valve. Removing the insert allows the use of any DIN connection regulator.

I would assume so. Since the major difference between the 200 and 300 BAR dins are the number of threads, it should work for all 200 BAR dins. It obviously won't work for a 300 BAR din as the insert threads in too far.

hoosier:
It is my bad. I need to clear up my question.....:wink:

My question is

Can any regular 200 bar DIN valve on the tank be converted to Yoke valve with the insert?
I know Pro valve (K/DIN) can be used in both ways.

Any 200 bar DIN valve can be converted this way.

R..

Here's a follow up question. For all of the PST owners.

Why do the the PST tanks ship with a Din/Yoke convertable valve. My understanding is that anything over 3300 requires a 300 bar din.

Paul

Otter:
I would assume so. Since the major difference between the 200 and 300 BAR dins are the number of threads, it should work for all 200 BAR dins. It obviously won't work for a 300 BAR din as the insert threads in too far.

Diver0001:
Any 200 bar DIN valve can be converted this way..

I think it's (probably) true that an insert/donut can be securely screwed into most any 200-BAR valve. But the second part of the issue is, as far as we all know, do all 200-BAR valves have the dimple on the back of the valve to accept the yoke screw?

In other words, if you have a yoke reg, and are traveling to a part of the world that uses 200-BAR DIN valves, how confident can you be that you'll be OK if you just bring a donut insert with you? (Don't forget the spare o-rings!)

That's why I'm converting all our regs to DIN.

--Marek

The PST E130 tank comes with 200 or 230 bar DIN/Yoke valve, not 300 bar combo valve.

pgdive:
Here's a follow up question. For all of the PST owners.

Why do the the PST tanks ship with a Din/Yoke convertable valve. My understanding is that anything over 3300 requires a 300 bar din.

Paul

I understand that they are not 300 bar convertable, in fact I have never seen a 300 bar convertable. Why do essentially high pressure tanks ship with a low pressure din/ yoke combination. Is this somthing that has been an issue in the past. I am hearing that some shops are refusing to fill the tanks to the working pressure with these valves in place. I really havn't been able to get a clear answer from PST, other than getting them shipped with a regular 300 bar valves is not an option.

Paul

When PST originally created the E series tank they were 3500 psi. The complaint from the industry was the required use of a 300 bar regulator. The engineers at PSI got out the mathematical smoke and mirrors and solved the problem. The used the European standard of 230 bar @59F and did a temperature correction to 70F and arrived at 3442 psi. They downrated the cylinder to 3442 psi which allowed the use of the 230 bar connection. The important thing to remember in all of this is, the connection is to protect the regulator and the use of adapters to use a low pressure rated regulator on a high pressure tank should be avoided. ITS NOT ABOUT THE TANK, IT'S ABOUT THE REGULATOR.

Back
Top Bottom