Valhalla Missile Silo Report 10-6-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkraingod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I and a group of others from Adventure Scuba got the chance to dive the missile silo today. The complex itself is very cool looking, if not a little bit creepy. Rust and dirt abound. The walk down the stairs, while not exactly easy, was nowhere near as difficult as I expected given what I've heard. The water was right at 59-60 degrees, so it was definitely a bit chilly. Visibility was not quite what I expected, about 25' effectively, but you could kinda see up to 50 or so. Our lights barely penetrated across the silo from one side to the other. Under about 40 feet there isn't a whole lot of light from the surface. My only dive for the day we dropped down to about 100'. There's not a whole lot to see in the wreckage on the bottom. Lots of concrete and metal. Someone claimed they saw a toy doll, but I didn't get to see it. Unfortunately I didn't get to see much else on the ascent, but others said there's a bit more to see (though not much). Most of us decided one dive was enough, though a small group went back for seconds. I'll have some surface pics of the facility in a day or two.

Yep... been there done that a few times---makes a nice 'log book' type dive. Just think, how many folks can say they have dove in a missile silo---you can!

Cool dive for sure. I was in the second group - got to explore what the owner said was part of the navigation and fueling systems for the ICBM once housed in there. The trip as worth it even if you didnt get to see a ton diving, the history of the place alone was enough for me. It was like someone froze an early cold war era millitary instalation in time and buried it under 100 feet of water for us to dive 50 years later. Hard to explain - if you ever get the chance to go and see it - do it!

Cool dive for sure. I was in the second group - got to explore what the owner said was part of the navigation and fueling systems for the ICBM once housed in there. The trip as worth it even if you didnt get to see a ton diving, the history of the place alone was enough for me. It was like someone froze an early cold war era millitary instalation in time and buried it under 100 feet of water for us to dive 50 years later. Hard to explain - if you ever get the chance to go and see it - do it!

To be honest there is not a lot to see once under the water....you probably did not miss much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom