Vague Question Degen Back/Neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

epconti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there.

Sorry this is so vague, but I'm going on second hand information from a very old-fashioned, stubborn Irish-Italian mother. :) She hurt her back 30-something years ago and never had it corrected. She now has a degenerative disease (or maybe that's what she had all along?) which affects the cartilege in her back and neck. She insists that surgery is not an option (although I have never been with her to see the dr). I told her that I've been told that snorkeling actually works well to relieve back pain. She said she was also told that but was told swimming would be bad for her neck. I think I can see why regular swimming would be bad because of the need to crane your neck to get air, but with snorkeling you can pretty much keep your neck straight and rely on the shorkel to bring air to you. I was wondering if anybody had any input on whether my theory is wrong or any references I could find to give to her to get her in the pool. Thanks.

- eric

PS. If any of you docs can tell me that degenerative conditions can be corrected with surgery, I'll throw her over my shoulder and carry her to the doctor. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom