Vacation Report: Kona Village

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a week at the Kona Village (www.konavillage.com). Amazing!

Diving:
Unbelievably good. They are full-service, the boat comes right up to the beach and you just hop on. They take care of everything: setting up gear, switching tanks between dives, rinsing and cleanup. Basically, you sit on the swim platform and your BC appears on your shoulders, ready to go. They have very good rental equipment, too, or you can use your own gear and save $20. The dive sites were top-notch, the water is warm, and the sights are stunning. I was blown away: manta rays, turtles, sharks, octopus, WHALES. I recommend bringing your own fins, since the rental fins were the only thing lacking. The staff were the best I've ever encountered on a dive trip. Friendly, safe, patient, and just plain cool. The dive boat only has 6 spots on it, so reservations in advance are a good idea. (I didn't have any problem booking my dives upon arrival, though.) The snorkeling/freediving was also top-notch -- tons to see, and snorkel equipment is no charge for all resort guests.

Resort:
If you have non-diving family, this is the place to go. It's not your standard resort, I don't know of anything else like it. The theme is "barefoot luxury" -- no phones, tvs, computers, etc. The rooms are individual "hale" huts, and it feels a bit like summer camp for adults. The food is very good, and I don't give that rating easily. Tons of fun for everyone, diving only takes ~3 hours for two tanks in the early morning, leaving the rest of the day for family fun. There are a couple of planned activites during the day for kids, teens, and adults, but it's low-key. There is zero nightlife -- think quiet walks, tennis, swimming, sailing, beach activities, etc. They offer night dives and shore dives, too, but I didn't bother. I've seen some reviews where people complain that the service isn't what they would expect given how expensive it is, but if you need that kind of luxury the Four Seasons is right next door, and you could probably still go diving at the Kona Village if they have an opening. Personally, I much prefered the Kona Village just because it is so unique.

Price:
Expensive. Four Seasons prices without Four Seasons amenities is a tough sell for some people, so you have to appreciate the "barefoot luxury" approach to justify the price. A few people in our group did spend a couple extra days next door at the Four Seasons after a week at Kona Village, and said that the transition to constant pampering (they come by the pool to clean your sunglasses!) was actually a bit annoying. (I know, such problems . . . take this all in context!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom