Vacation divers - when did you decide to buy your own gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My definition for "vacation diver" is no more than 2 diving trips per year. And if that person is going to pursue this hobby for few more yrs then I would suggest: booties, fins, mask and signaling devices. Computer and thermal protection are also very useful.
BC and regs are the least important items.

I think I'm the essence of a vacation diver. We don't plan diving trips but happen to plan trips where there is diving.
Have gone from taking a trip only during spring break and/or early summer (I was a teacher) to now being able to take several trips a year.

I purchased my mask, snorkel, and fins when I took OW in 1998. Figured I would be snorkeling at some time even if I never dove again after doing my checkout dives in Grand Cayman. Seven years later I had the opportunity to dive again as I had an aunt in law who moved to St. Croix. For 2 years I rented gear as we traveled to St. Croix with my dive total reaching a whopping 10. Knowing we were going backing 2008 for a slightly longer stay (and taking friends that we still travel with today), I purchased a 3mm wetsuit. The next year we went to Aruba and I realized that our trips would be taking us places where we could dive, so in 2010 I purchased a traveling BC and reg thinking (like the OP) that I would come out ahead in the long term over renting. On a trip to Hawaii in early 2013, the DM's briefing included "if you don't have a computer, come up when your air reaches ##, and if you have a computer dive your plan." By the time we went to Cozumel later that year, I had my own computer. Again, knowing where my diving mostly took place, my only other purchases included a shorty (with $$ I received as a retirement gift) and full foot fins to cut down on space/weight when traveling.

By the way, I did some research into travel gear before buying, but I bought it all from a local dive store that happened to carry just one travel BC which was one of the ones I researched (AquaLung Zuma.) Slipped it on in the store to be sure it was the correct size and have been happy with it since.

The stuff I'm mainly asking about is BCDs and Regulators at this point. For BCD I've really only used the jacket style and I like how they feel and fit. I don't think I'd go with the BP&W right now since I'd be traveling with it and that would just add weight and bulk, and plus, I like the jacket style. But I see some that are like $300 and some that are like $800 and I don't really know why there is such a drastic price difference.

A BP/W set up is actually almost always going to be lighter than a normal jacket type or even standard back inflate bcd. BP/W are extremely minimalist typically so very light.

I did it in stages. First was masks and fins. After that rented the regs
and BCD for our first few trips.

On the 3rd dive trip, the HP hose burst next to my ear as I was getting suited up. When we got back I purchased my own regs. The BCD was purchased a few trips after that.

A BP/W set up is actually almost always going to be lighter than a normal jacket type or even standard back inflate bcd. BP/W are extremely minimalist typically so very light.

No. My shiny metal plate is not lighter than my wife's jacket. It packs in one tenth of the space, I grant you: I can pack all my gear in a slightly oversize carry-on while her jacket needs its own checked bag. But lighter it isn't.

I spend maybe 3-4 hours/trip carrying it through airports. I spend 20+ hours wearing it underwater. I think the trade-off is very reasonable.

My Scubapro Hydros came with it's own backpack, and can fit a lot of crap in it for easy travel.

There is a video of that online too.....

Although there is a lot to be said about what's missing or not right about fitting your entire kit into that last video, but it still gives you an idea of how much crap you can cram in.

Here is the link to Alec Peirce's Youtube Channel.........

Alec Peirce Scuba

Here are some videos to watch first........

(this is on what to buy first and last)

(this is on budget or expensive regs)

And a zillion other good videos.

Just to offer a sort of radical alternative, I know of a "vacation diving" couple who have taken at least one major trip every year for the past, I dunno, 10+ years, to some exotic destination and have never bought their own gear except for wetsuits, mask, fins and computers. They rent BCs and regs, and as far as I can see, it has always been top quality, relatively new gear, no doubt because they book with highly regarded dive operators, mainly liveaboards. They need little storage space at home, and don't have to fret about maintenance. They are middle-aged (to put it kindly), but their style strikes me more as millennial: buying "services" on an as-needed basis, rather than accumulating "things" that need to be taken care of.

Since you asked for some feedback and recommendations on regulators, if I were starting from scratch as a new diver and wanted my own reg set, I would be purchasing this package. Given that you will be vacation diving only, go with the Yoke 1st stage and not the DIN, for sake of compatibility. Deep 6 Configurable Single Tank Package

I bought my gear right off the bat with 4 dives. It didn’t go to waste because like yourself I knew this was a hobby I’d be doing for a long time.

However, now that I have over 100 dives there are things I had to either rebuy or purchases I regret due to the lack of experience I had when I bought it. So keep that in mind, as you keep diving you’ll realize what features are most important to you. Hope this helps.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom