VA Benefits Fraud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are really two primary ways a veteran can use their benefits for SCUBA and in my opinion they offer a very different return for the veteran.

Option 1: Full program from zero to hero that promises all the way to CCR instructor. This sucks a massive amount of eligibility and would almost kill all of it.

Option 2: Thanks to NAUI and now TDI a veteran can use about 28 days of eligibility for a single course offering. For example TDI TECH 3 is essentially MOD1 CCR and the veteran is reimbursed for $2000 after completion of the course. To me this is awesome as some veterans have 2-3 months of eligibility left after trade school or college and this allows them to use their benefit while not wasting months or false promises about becoming an instructor and making money in the industry. Same applies to OW. This is available for any SDI/TDI instructor or NAUI instructor if part of the program.

I am not a fan of option 1 for a ton of reasons but for the veteran to have the ability to use some eligibility for SCUBA is pretty awesome when utilized correctly.

The program mentioned in this article and fraud cases used option 1

Looks like Scooba Shack is primarily SSI and Diver's Den is primarily SDI.

The advertised course fees for Diver's Den ( Diver's Den Georgia ) match exactly with what SDI advertises on their webpage ( Veterans - Use your GI Bill to earn scuba certifications and licenses - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI ). Of course, that's as of today and it's plausible that it was updated since the indictment (although all guilty instructors are still on their respective dive shop webpages).

With the net theft of $4 million, it's hard to imagine how the two shops snuck that by their licensing agencies. There was definitely some creative accounting going on. It takes a lot of work to be this dishonest. I'm grateful for my lazy streak.

Since this is a relatively new benefit (NAUI was the first and went live in 2020, IIRC), the VA may consider withdrawing support for SCUBA training or perhaps keep it alive but only through accrediting NAUI for training.

@Darcy Kieran for awareness.

I’m using the rest of mine for tech courses… no intention of becoming an instructor. I’m glad the option is there.

The very last of mine expired today.

3 college degrees, DM, IDC and tech 1. I really can't complain.

Looks like Scooba Shack is primarily SSI and Diver's Den is primarily SDI.

The advertised course fees for Diver's Den ( Diver's Den Georgia ) match exactly with what SDI advertises on their webpage ( Veterans - Use your GI Bill to earn scuba certifications and licenses - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI ). Of course, that's as of today and it's plausible that it was updated since the indictment (although all guilty instructors are still on their respective dive shop webpages).

With the net theft of $4 million, it's hard to imagine how the two shops snuck that by their licensing agencies. There was definitely some creative accounting going on. It takes a lot of work to be this dishonest. I'm grateful for my lazy streak.

Since this is a relatively new benefit (NAUI was the first and went live in 2020, IIRC), the VA may consider withdrawing support for SCUBA training or perhaps keep it alive but only through accrediting NAUI for training.

@Darcy Kieran for awareness.
These are not new. I used my VA benefits to go through a program in 2014. Luckily the program I went through was legit. We put in the time and met all the requirements, and the price was about what people were paying without using VA benefits. The big catch was that we were required to have identical gear which we had to get through the school. I don’t know, but I think they made a huge profit.

I recommend veterans use their benefits for something more employable, but this was a great option for me. I already had several degrees in marketable fields. This allowed me to get into teaching CCR which has become a great side-gig.

Does anyone know what the guilty parties were sentenced to jail (if they got jail time)?

Interesting. As a veteran myself I've seen many of my old friends waste their benefits on various things that won't help them earn a living in life.

Interesting. As a veteran myself I've seen many of my old friends waste their benefits on various things that won't help them earn a living in life.

But it's fun and with three degrees a limited amount and very limited time why not.

I had some of mine expire on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom