V-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just melted 12 lbs. of lead and poured it into a form I made for a v-weight.
I figured I'd post some pictures.

I'll cut some material away and drill a couple of holes for the tank band bolts tomorrow.

**I just realized I have a thousand posts.....haha.

-Mitch

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 364
Nice work!!! I was waiting for a LDS to make one for the last 10 months. They have been talking about it for a while. I guess at this point I will have to make it myself. I know metling lead is very dangerous, but luckily Ive done it before.

I didn't want to wait for any online store to get them in. No one seems to have any v-weights, I've searched around online.

I had a bunch of 3 lb. and 2 lb. bricks, I figured I'd make good use of them.

I can see why no shop has them in stock.......I wouldn't want to make a bunch of these either.

-Mitch

I just drilled the holes, and cut away some material for the tank bands, it came out to be 10 lbs.
I stopped by and got a bucket of lead weights from the tire shop, I'll make a couple of more in different weights.

-Mitch

As an alternative to the traditional V-weight, Halcyon now makes a "webbing" type pouch that installs in the same place as a V-weight, and has 3 pouches where you can add soft weight. I looked but don't see it online anywhere yet. Bought mine a couple of months ago.

Just a thought,

Henrik

As an alternative to the traditional V-weight, Halcyon now makes a "webbing" type pouch that installs in the same place as a V-weight, and has 3 pouches where you can add soft weight. I looked but don't see it online anywhere yet. Bought mine a couple of months ago.

How much weight can you get in there? I've used the XS Scuba one for awhile now, but it works better as a channel weight (with only one side full) than a V-weight.

I know you can contact "jharszy" over at thedecostop.com I know he makes V weights for people and sells them at a great price. I bought several from him last year. I know once he has enough people he makes a bunch and sells out quickly but makes couple batches a year or used to. Here is what he had

the weights are ready. I have 8's, 8.5, 9's, 10.5, and 12lb available. Email me with what you want and send a paypal payment to jharszy@charter.net for $26 each weight and $12.80 shipping/insurance I can ship up to three weights in the same box for the one shipping price

How much weight can you get in there? I've used the XS Scuba one for awhile now, but it works better as a channel weight (with only one side full) than a V-weight.

Well (blush) I haven't actually tried it out yet :) I brought it along last month, only to realize that you can't fit big block weights in there (Doh - slaps forehead). I just bought some soft weights, so let me run out and try ...

Well, that was disappointing ...

I managed to get a 4 lbs soft weight in the bottom pouch. and could *just* fiddle a 3 and a 4 lbs soft weight in the main pouch, but was then unable to properly close the main pouch.

It may very well be operator error, but tank lying down or standing up, trying to slowly "pour" the bag of soft weight in there - it was not easy, and I couldn't get a good fit/closing of the main pouch. So as of now I can't recommend it.

Sorry for the "static".

Henrik

Yeah I'm not totally surprised, although it's a bummer. If you think about all the space between the pellets and then the difficulty of getting something that perfectly fits all the available space even on the outside, it's not surprising that nothing beats a solid form-fitting block of lead for the 10+ pounders.

Shady,

That's a great price! It would be tough to get the lead for that cheap.
I messaged "jharszy" back in December on TDS about getting a v-weight, but never heard back from him.

I couldn't find them anywhere else, so I finally decided to make my own.

I used lead dive weight that I already had, but those weights now sell for $3 to $4 per pound. At least that's what they were charging for it on Guam before I moved.

I haven't had to buy lead in a long time...but I don't remember it costing that much back in the states.

Anyway, I already had them on hand, so I used those.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom