V-Planner Dive Plan for NDL dive doesn't look right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Question: I just downloaded V-Planner to start learning about deco dive planning. For the fun of it, I looked at a US Navy Dive Table for 21%. The NDL for rec diving is 100 ft for 25 mins. I entered 100 ft for 24 mins into V-Planner just to see what it would do, and this is what I got...WHY? V-Planner is showing deco stops as so...but in normal rec diving, all that anyone would do for a NDL dive like this IS a safety stop of 3 mins at 15 ft. Whats up?
-Planner 3.10 by R. Hemingway, VPM code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: VPM-B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 0 day 2 hr 0 min.
Altitude = 0ft
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 100ft (2) on Air, 50ft/min descent.
Level 100ft 22:00 (24) on Air, 0.83 ppO2, 100ft END
Asc to 40ft (26) on Air, -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 30ft 3:00 (29) on Air, 0.40 ppO2, 30ft END
Stop at 20ft 4:00 (33) on Air, 0.33 ppO2, 20ft END
Stop at 10ft 9:00 (42) on Air, 0.27 ppO2, 10ft END
Asc to sfc. (42) on Air, -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 70.8 ft

OTU's this dive: 17
CNS Total: 5.7%

83.1 cu ft Air
83.1 cu ft TOTAL

Hmmmmm Good Question...

Maybe you should not to too quick to sell your Dive Rite Scuba Ni Tek Computer

Naa,
Thanks, but I find the Bottom Timers easier to use and besides, I'm headed in a DIR direction...computers will rot your brain! Ask Uncle Pug!

I don't use V-planner too often, but for one thing you have the conservatism on +2 so that will make your stops longer. Another thing is that you are comparing apples to oranges...the rec NDLs are based on a dissolved gas model and this is a bubble model that takes into account dissolved gas and bubble formation.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
O-Ring, so what should the conservatism be on?
IMHO, that's a personal decision. Point this thread out to WreckWriter...I know he uses VPM and knows a lot more about it than I do. Actually Ross is on the board now too, so maybe he will answer your question.

One other possible thing is having a SI set to only 2 hours. That would signify you still had loading from a previous dive. Not sure what values V-P would use in that case, but it tracks exposure for up to 2 days I believe.

MD

oh... O-ring already said that...

What should the conservatism be on? What are you trying to accomplish?

Not an exact science, is it?
Note that the Navy table with doppler limits applied has a max NDL of 20 vice 25 minutes, and while V-planner will still give you a few minutes more stop time, they're getting closer.
Now, if you really want to have some fun, look at a series of 15 minute dives to 100' with an hour surface interval.
With V-planner (VPM-b, nominal) you can do these indefinitely with a 3 minute stop, while the Navy tables require no stop on the first dive, a 3 minute stop on the second dive, 2 @ 20 and 24 @ 10 on the third dive and on the fourth dive you're up to 9 @ 20 and 28 @ 10, where it finally goes constant.
When you take your decompression course you'll be better equipped to make an informed decision on what to use for your specific dives.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom