Uwatec Tec or Pro Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying either an Uwatec Smart Pro Wrist or an Uwatec Smart Tec Wrist. These computers stretch my current budget to the limit but are within my means. I will mostly dive recreationally with Nitrox (and air) but I plan to enter into technical diving. I want a computer that will handle my current needs but last into the future as far as I need it to. Does anyone have any input on whether either of these two computers should or shouldn't be my choice?

I'm also looking at several computers and have aspirations similar to yours (diving beyond recreational limits). I looked at the the Smart Tek and it seems like a pretty trick computer, especially with the 3 gas capability; however, That means I would also have to buy 2 more transmitters at ($300 to $400 apiece) in order to take full advantage of it. That adds up to about $1600 to $1800 (the computer with one transmitter is around $1000). For that much I could get a top of the line VR3 or Abyss Explorer. Interestingly, these trimix computers are not air integrated (but can read PO2 levels from CCR's).

I've only been looking into tec diving for a few months now (mostly via internet) but non-air integrated computers seem to be the norm. I'm not sure why but could easily make some guesses. For example, with an air integrated computer (hose or wireless) you will still need SPG's for backup on all your mixes. Also, there are only a few computers that can handle mix changes. So perhaps advanced equiopment equals lots of extra stuff. I've read that many tec divers just use an SPG and bottom timer and dive their planned profiles, which is what you would do anyway, even with a fancy computer; so, why waste the money on a fancy computer when you could spend it on helium or something else more essential (staging tanks, etc). Just a guess.

After researching a bit, I've decided I still will get a wrist mounted computer because that's what I want for my current level of diving. I looked at the Dacor Darwin and Mares Airlab, air integrated, hose mounted computers because of some opinions that wrist mounts sometimes get in the way and because I can get one for half the price of a wrist mounted, air integrated computer but have almost decided against it. I may forgo the air integration and just get a wrist mount, in which case it will be the Aeris Atmos 2. I have an aeris XR1 now and will be able to use it as a backup since they both use the same or similar decompression models (something you may want to consider yourself if you haven't already). For the same reason, I will probably get an Aeris Elite if I go the air integrated route.

Well this was a bit verbose and I don't know if this helps you but writing it down is starting to help me figure out what I want. As for using whatever I get for tec diving, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (I suppose you can always use just the computer part of an air integrated computer, besides, ultimately I think I will get a VR3 or Explorer). In the meantime, I really want a wrist mount.

-Bob

Go with the Smart Pro. You'll like it as a rec only diver (and it's cheaper - especially used on e-bay, which is where I'd look as you'll save more money in the short AND long run). Once you really get to the point where you want to be a technical level diver, you will probably come to the conclusion that the Samrt Tec is NOT a real Tech computer (falls way short of it) and that most tech divers would only consider a VR3, Explorer, or Nitek He (if at all). The vast majoity of Tek divers run their own profiles and only use a computer as a back-up and/or in guage mode only (mostly in guage mode).

Thanks for the input. I've decided against air integration for cost and because I've gotten along well without it. So far I haven't found good prices with ebay auctions on computers but it's only a matter of time and patience.

I mistakenly put Smart Tec Pro as the other model I was looking at but it was actually the Aladin Tec Wrist. I liked it for the user replaceable battery, gauge mode and buttons. My old air computer has the wet contacts and I've never been very found of them.

Right now the Smart Tec Pro costs more than I care to spend. I'd rather have something that lasts me for a while and wait to spend that kind of money years from now. The Smart Pro is still within my cost target.

Anyone have input on the Aladin Tec?

The Smart Pro can be put into gauge mode, also.

Back
Top Bottom