Uwatec SmartCom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has this computer hit the shelves yet? If so, has anyone had any experience with it? Please provide some impressions. I am considering upgrading my old Aladin Pro and I'm curious about Uwatec's latest and greatest. Thanks

Yes the uwatec line of smart computers is on the shelf. They do over distinct advantages over the other line of uwatec computers. The down load software is included with computer and all you need on your PC is an infrared port. For detailed information visit UWATEC web site @ UWATEC.com

I just got my SmartCom last week. It's my first dive computer so I don't have a basis for comparison. I haven't been diving with it yet, but from messing around with it, it does seem kinda complicated. I ordered the irDA interface for it yesterday. Does anyone else have this computer? If so, how do you like it?

Jack in Phoenix

My wife and I just purchased Smart Coms for both of us. I was showing my wife a little about the machine and ran into an "opportunity." After reading the book and trying to "press" the right side of the display, I cannot understand how to get the backlight to come on. The picture in the manual suggests that you press the side just above the 'E' contact. Tried that and got nowhere.

Any ideas?

thanks
- ayman

I received my iRDA interface from Dell computers. I ordered it online. It was about $65 and connects via USB. Works well. It is listed as:

XTNDACCESS IRFRARED USB Adapter- Cabl Desktop Infrared Adapter:)

It is wierd how they designed the backlight on feature. You have to press on the side of the console and hold pressure and then the light will come on. Press on the side of the computer where it shows on the diagram. Mine works.

It took a couple of tries to find the sweat spot but mine lights up OK. As for the IR, the port was on my laptop and I had never used it. It works great once you find out how to piont the port on the Smart Com at the PC.

Haven't dived it yet tho a friend of mine has dived my computer (to check it out) and I am looking forward to it as all the dives he put on it are saturated with warnings all through the profiles.

Finally got the SmartCom to replace my aging Aladin. In the beginning, I also thought the back-light didn't work, but then I brought it into a dark room and saw it working fine. It just doesn't show up very well unless its very dark. Will be diving next week and I'll post some impressions.

Anyone used it yet? What microbubble level? How restrictive are the various microbubble levels? If anyone can help that would be nice.

Good diving.

Gerry

I just just got back from Oahu and posted a trip report. It was all good save for one thing. During my fourth dive in two days the Smart Com screen went blank...shut down, DOA, Nada, Zero,Zilch!

I was at 105 feet and had to surface immediately. Pretty scary for this newly certified AOW diver.

When I called Scubapro. The tech didn't even act surprised or ask any questions. I told him what happened and his first and only response was..."Something probably got loose, send it in".

I wasn't happy with that, and asked for his supervisor. He was at least sympathetic but could offer no explanation. I will keep you posted on how well they handle the problem. I don't know if I will ever trust the unit even if they find out the problem. By the way. I hand carried the unit during my flight and keep it in a padded bag inside of another padded bag. While diving it was tucked in my cumberbund (not banging around on the bottom).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom