Uwatec smart z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVERHERB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have a question for any of you more literate computer people out there. I have a Uwatec smart z that I have used for about 4 years and really like it. I generally log all my dives. Recently I have decided to load the smart trak program into my laptop to start logging my dives and profiles onto it. My question is my laptop does not have a arda. I checked some of the electronic stores to see if they stocked such a thing. My question is some of the stores tried to sell me usb "adapters" for cell phones and iPods and camera's. Not being to savvy on these things is this the same as a irda dongle?
If so they are cheap compared with what Scuba pro wants. Like 10.00 verses 69.00

* Infrared Technology. Wireless data transfer of dive profile information to PC, MAC or PDA via Smart TRAK, J-Trak or Travel TRAK software respectively. See our USB Infrared Device for connectivity to your PC or MAC.

But no data cable supplied.

Not sure how old your laptop is. Most already have the IR sensor built in. Only problem with that setup is, you have to be very close to the sensor while sending and receiving. Its also a little temperamental when using Windoze and never really works that well.

To give you a better range you can go for the ''irda dongle''. If your smart z only transmits data through IR, which seems to be the case, then you should be okay with it.

Personally i would not waste my money with the ScPro dongle, unless they use some kind of higher Inter-planetary IR signal that beats all others.

I have a SmartCom.

I bought a USB infra red dongle for about $20 a number of years ago ... works fine.

Thanks all, after reading the reviews on several of the irda's I noticed that alot of them made comments on using them with Vista instead of windows. Is anyone running the Smart track program and the irda with the vista program instead of windows. Dont mean to be a pita but before I order would just like to make sure I get the right one.
Thanks

Windows and Vista are the same system software. Windows Vista!

Can't speak for the Smart track prog because i use a D9 for my my dives. However, you should not really have any problems with Vista.
You are after all, only using a usb port for the irda dongle. Vista will instantly pick up the dongle on install and set up the appropriate drivers for it.

Forgot to add. Just make sure your buying a Vista compatible irda, if Vista is what you are using on your laptop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will try to locate a local shop to see if they have one available if not I guess I will order over the internet. Sorry for the "windows/vista" mistake. What I meant was windows 98 verses vista program. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom