Uwatec Smart tec - - opinions & experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone with first hand experience using a Uwatec Smart tec please post your thoughts, opinions, 'gotchas' or anything else you think might be helpful. I'm coming from an air-only Oceanic, so any nitrox computer would be helpful. I am not a "tech" diver but I look forward to developing my skills. Will this computer help me along the way? I've read the manual and was a little surprise to learn that it is base on fresh water pressure and will read deeper depth in salt water.

Hi Gator. Congrats on the new computer! I've had my Smart TEC for a couple of years now and it has served me well. The only thing that takes some getting used to is navigating with the wet contacts. I preferred the push buttons of my TEC 2G, but I wanted hoseless AI and at the time this was UWATEC's only choice; of course, they now have the Galileo series. The Smart TEC works very well, the display is easy to read and understand, it has plenty of adjustable alarms that are helpful reminders, and the info download to your PC with the SmartTrack software works very well. I've never had a communication failure between the wrist unit and transmitter.

One downside is the fact that it does not have user replaceable batteries, but if you bought it through a SP dealer like I did, it has lifetime battery replacement from UWATEC. The battery in the wrist unit is pretty long lasting, though. I have been using mine for two years and it still has 94% battery life. I did have to replace the batteries in the transmitter last month, but that was covered by my LDS as well.

Like you said, it is set to freshwater pressure and is not adjustable to salt (like the Galileos can) but that has not had any affect on my diving. The depth will read slightly deeper than you actually are, but not enough to matter.

Most divers will wear this to the outside of their wrist, like a watch; but I find it easier to wear it to the inside of my arm. Because of the thickness of the unit, this makes it easier to see and push the light and safety stop timer buttons on the top of the unit. Also, I feel it helps protect the unit from being bumped into anything.

If I can think of anything else, I'll post it later. Have fun diving with it!

My girlfriend has a Smart Tec. I haven't dived it but I have messed with it plenty and dived opposite it many times. It's a perfectly serviceable nitrox computer. The wireless air integration works well. The wet contacts can be a pain in the rear but you'll only be pressing buttons to change nitrox levels. Just make sure you aren't doing that floating on the surface while everyone waits for you.

As the other poster said the lack of a user replaceable battery is a downer. If you buy the computer new the factor will handle it... If you buy it used, it costs about $100 to have the battery replaced so make sure that it's still strong when you buy it. And make sure not to leave the computer among your damp dive gear lest you find the battery run down the next time you need it! That happened to us once.

If you do not care about wireless air integration there are probably better computers--with better displays, anyway. But if you get a Smart Tec for a good price, it's a fine computer.

Thanks for the replies guys. It is used, but for the price the AI and other features, it was a fair deal. I appreciate your honest input.

Another question, do you remove your transmitter from first stage between dive trips or leave it mounted?

Thanks.

Last edited:
There's no need to remove the TX when not in use.

Enjoy your new computer. :)

Like Matt said, you can leave the transmitter screwed into the first stage; just make sure it's stored and transported in a way that it can't get damaged. I keep my regs in a seperate regulator bag that protects them from bangs and bruises. I keep the TEC wrist unit in the drawstring bag it came with and I put that in the reg bag as well. Also, like Matt said, make sure the wrist unit and bag are dry before you store them or else the wet contacts may keep the unit turned on and drain its battery.

Computer arrived today. :D Installed the SmartTRAK software and used the IR to turn gauge mode off and play with some other settings. The SmartTRAK software is way cool. I still have a lot to learn (only had it about 30 minutes so far) but what I'm seeing, I like. I can't wait to dive this thing. Thanks for the input, guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom