Uwatec Galileo SOL Strap Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh don't get me started! Let's see here - I replaced the strap on my Galileo when I got it. Used an old Uwatec strap since it was elastic and easier to adjust. Last Jan, I pulled the strap on and the computer went flying across the boat. Turns out that the Uwatec strap put too much leverage on the Galileo pin holes and shattered the case. (wish I'd taken a pic). Had the computer sent to Scubapro took forever but they replaced the case, charged me like $75 and I got a new SN because of the case change. I was ok with this, I moded the strap and it was my fault.

Late March, I go on a cruise and do 2 dives in Grand Cayman then come home and take a class out for a dive. The computer powers up but says low bat then dies. I open the battery case to find it flooded. Take it back to the shop and tell the owner that it has 3 dives since coming back from Scubapro and they put the battery in it so it's their problem. (this is April). A couple weeks ago, I get a call that my computer is back and that they replaced it.

I go to pick it up and immediately notice that there is a bubble in the LCD. WTF? where is the quality control? I just got an email today that a replacement replacement is on the way.

Moral of the story is that the plastic of the Galileo case it brittle and will break under a strain! Be careful modifying the straps.

im on the third strap for my luna...getting expensive at 45 dollars a pop. im either gonna convert to bungee or just sell the damn thing. irritating for something so expensive

The pictures of my bungeed Luna.

As noted above it involves no drilling and the 3/16" bungee does not stress the pin or holes anymore than the original strap.

The fishermans knot is easily adjustable for length just by pulling firmly on the bitter ends of the bungee to pull the knots farther apart or by pulling the working ends to bring them close together.

Attachments

• bf8ceb3b.jpg
    bf8ceb3b.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,521
  • 61be5518.jpg
    61be5518.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 897
what is that inbetween the two bungee cords to seperate them?

I wanted to post pictures of the bungee mount that I made. I have about 30 dives on it, and it works great.

I also looped the bungee through the hole in the main body, mainly to add another point of retention in case a pin or bungee comes loose.

The photos are in my ScubaBoard gallery.

Galileo Luna Bungee - - ScubaBoard Gallery

I wanted to post pictures of the bungee mount that I made. I have about 30 dives on it, and it works great.

I also looped the bungee through the hole in the main body, mainly to add another point of retention in case a pin or bungee comes loose.

The photos are in my ScubaBoard gallery.

Nice. I made a similar improvisation with Cordlocks to allow adjustment of length, and recently I found all plastic cordlocks at REI so there's no chance of affecting the compass. It's a shame Uwatec is not bungee friendly like Liquivision.

Right. I have read this thread and the older thread and can not belive people still do not know where to attach a safty lanyard.

30062012325.jpg

As noted above it involves no drilling and the 3/16" bungee does not stress the pin or holes anymore than the original strap. The fishermans knot is easily adjustable for length just by pulling firmly on the bitter ends of the bungee to pull the knots farther apart or by pulling the working ends to bring them close together.

I had seen DA Aquamaster's previous posts, so when my strap broke early this year, I was prepared. I had the bungee in my save-a-dive bag and made the mod during the surface interval. Simple, effective, and works well (I wear the computer on my forearm, just below the elbow).

I'm glad it worked well for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom