Uwatec computer timeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have been looking at the Uwatec brand computers and have been trying to fit a timeline from their beginning to now by computer name, including their merger with Aladdin. Can anyone help? What I am looking for is in which order were the general computer families introduced and roughly when. Thanks!

I have been looking at the Uwatec brand computers and have been trying to fit a timeline from their beginning to now by computer name, including their merger with Aladdin. Can anyone help? What I am looking for is in which order were the general computer families introduced and roughly when. Thanks!

Well they started with Aladin ('94), Aladin-Pro, Aladin-Pro Nitrox, then Air-Z, Air-Z nitrox ('97). They were bought by Scubapro in 1997 and then the products were called 'Scubapro-Uwatec.' Since the merger, the Scubapro-Uwatec computers were the 2g, Galileo/Terra/Luna, and Meridian.

Hopefully a Scubapro representative will give a better and more official reply.

Eric Fattah

Wikipedia is a good place to get some info, but apparently not complete for this topic:

Uwatec

Uwatec was founded in Switzerland in 1984 as a manufacturer of scuba gear. In 1987 it introduced the Aladin PRO, establishing a reputation for making diving computers, ...Uwatec merged with Scubapro in 1997, becoming part of Johnson Outdoors.

But at least this makes the point the Aladin is a product, and Uwatec is the company.

Wikipedia is a good place to get some info, but apparently not complete for this topic:

But at least this makes the point the Aladin is a product, and Uwatec is the company.
I am interested on the missing part.......corporate coverup exposed divers to grave risk and company kept computer defect secret for 7yrs(according to Oakland lawsuit). App. 7 on the Wikipedia's article.

Well they started with Aladin ('94), Aladin-Pro, Aladin-Pro Nitrox, then Air-Z, Air-Z nitrox ('97). They were bought by Scubapro in 1997 and then the products were called 'Scubapro-Uwatec.' Since the merger, the Scubapro-Uwatec computers were the 2g, Galileo/Terra/Luna, and Meridian.

Hopefully a Scubapro representative will give a better and more official reply.

Eric Fattah
There is also the aladin sport (1995), aladin sport plus and aladin pro ultra models and others?

I am not sure of the specific differences as many models appear very similar.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 12:14 AM ----------

P.S. you might be able to build a timeline by googling for the manuals of the various models and checking the copyright date in the manual.....

Uwatec computers were sold under numerous brand names all over the world. These were the importers I think. This includes Sea Hornet in Australia. The proper name is Uwatec for all the early ones if you ignore the importer name.

The Aladin (I think it was called) was introduced in Australia in or before 1988. I had a number of friends who had them. I bought an Aladin Pro in 1991. This was the small screen model. Later a larger screen downloadable version came out. In 1995 the Air-X had been out a year or two as I purchased one in January 1995.

Hope this helps a bit.

I am interested on the missing part.......corporate coverup exposed divers to grave risk and company kept computer defect secret for 7yrs(according to Oakland lawsuit). App. 7 on the Wikipedia's article.

Pardon that this is from memory since I cannot find the link again.

I believe it had to do with the Air-series time period. The algorithm was designed around 0 to 150 feet (50m). Tech diving was coming into its own. The computer was *rated* to 400 feet or something like that. Tech divers were getting bent at a *slightly* but statistically significant higher rate.

The lawsuit alleged that Uwatec was selling a known defective computer. Uwatec countered that the computer was doing exactly what it was designed for. The settlement is not know. Uwatec basically had its dealers collect and exchange all of the alleged defective computers.

IMO, garnered from reading everything, the computer was not conservative enough for true deco dives.

I found an Aladin TEC on ebay. The infrared link did not work. I sent it in, clearly informing them it was not in warranty, wanting to know what it would take to repair it. They sent me a new (or refurbished) TEC 2G. Please note the Aladin 2G is not the same computer as the TEC 2G . . . though I cannot find any real difference.

Pardon that this is from memory since I cannot find the link again.

I believe it had to do with the Air-series time period. The algorithm was designed around 0 to 150 feet (50m). Tech diving was coming into its own. The computer was *rated* to 400 feet or something like that. Tech divers were getting bent at a *slightly* but statistically significant higher rate.

The lawsuit alleged that Uwatec was selling a known defective computer. Uwatec countered that the computer was doing exactly what it was designed for. The settlement is not know. Uwatec basically had its dealers collect and exchange all of the alleged defective computers.

IMO, garnered from reading everything, the computer was not conservative enough for true deco dives.

I found an Aladin TEC on ebay. The infrared link did not work. I sent it in, clearly informing them it was not in warranty, wanting to know what it would take to repair it. They sent me a new (or refurbished) TEC 2G. Please note the Aladin 2G is not the same computer as the TEC 2G . . . though I cannot find any real difference.

This link implies the computer incorrectly assumed divers continued to breathe Nitrox during their surface interval:
Corporate coverup exposed divers to grave risk / Company kept computer defect secret for 7 years, according to Oakland lawsuit - SFGate
Aladin Air X Nitrox diving computer incorrectly assumed that divers breathed low-nitrogen Nitrox rather than air after surfacing. This defect allegedly caused the computer to underestimate the nitrogen in divers' bodies and to tell them they could return to the water faster, dive deeper and fly sooner than was safe...

Reactions: Jax
Early on, the Aladin and Aladin Pro were marketed in the USA by Beuchat. I got an Aladin pro in 1990. It was an air only computer that would give deco stops beginning, I believe, at 50 feet. I was doing quite a bit of deco diving back then, and after my initial distrust was allayed, came to rely upon it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom