Uwatec bottom timer temp gauge is way off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notabob

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone else around here that owns an Uwatec bottom timer have a problem with its temp gauge? Whenever I dive, the temp readout consistently shows temperatures 6-10 degrees F higher than the actual temps. I've cross-checked against numerous other divers' temp gauges, and the erroneous readout is very consistent. I contacted the dive shop where I bought it, but they said that it's a common problem with the Uwatecs and that all of them are thus affected. Somehow I find that hard to believe, so tell me - does yours have the same problem?

-Roman.

Hello ,

Yes, I use one as a backup always.... I have two.

I beleive that the temp sensor is on the back of the 'puck'.

I am going to guess that you have it mounted in a
rubber wrist mount..

Try it without the wrist mount to see if it gives a closer
reading.

Mine does...

I have made some water access holes to get better readings.

bob

As the temp doesn't affect the b/t, whats the problem? If its a consistent error, subtract 8 degrees and call it good. Or send it to Uwatec and have them fix it if it bugs you that much.

For one, it's not a consistent amount. So math is right out. Also, if I pay money for something, I expect it to work as advertised. If I have no reason to trust one of the gauges, how can I be sure that tomorrow my depth reading will still be accurate? And I'm reluctant to send it to Uwatec, since it will mean that I'm left without my backup for who knows how long... I'd rather have the shop exchange it, but naturally they don't want to. Hence I'm trying to find out if it really is a common problem, or are they simply making excuses.

I actually tried taking the puck out of the wrist mount underwater and plugging it in upside down for about 5-8 minutes, with the bottom exposed. Temperature reading dropped by about 2F, but that was it. Still was showing way warmer than it actually was. Hmm...

-Roman.

I have a Uwatec bottom timer, a Smart Com with temperature, and an SPG with temperature. My bottom timer is new, used it last weekend for first time, and all three themometers agreed with each other, so mine seems to be fine. Wearing it on top of dry suit, but if you flipped it over, I would think that would take out the influence of being near your skin. Insist on a trade from your LDS and let him send it back. Compare yours against another one in the store vs. a known good thermometer or does it only read bad in the water? If another one in the store reads true, then he should really exchange it with a smile if he wants your continued business.

Dove with it again this weekend and paid close attention to the temperature vs. my SPG and Smart Com. Did notice that the bottom timer would take quite a while to register the same temperature as the other gauges, several minutes, but it eventually would get there. Don't think there is very good water circulation in it's rubber mount. Was thinking about drilling a few more holes in it to help move the water through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom