UW Pager?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

epconti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there.

I searched for some posts about underwater pagers, but didn't see any. Did see the one about vibrators but not exactly what I'm looking for (did get a chuckle out of it though!). My wife is expecting our first baby in August. I was wondering if anybody knew of a pager that can be taken on dives. I will definitely be staying on the shallow side of the no-deco stop around that time. :)

- eric

epconti once bubbled...
Hi there.

I searched for some posts about underwater pagers, but didn't see any. Did see the one about vibrators but not exactly what I'm looking for (did get a chuckle out of it though!). My wife is expecting our first baby in August. I was wondering if anybody knew of a pager that can be taken on dives. I will definitely be staying on the shallow side of the no-deco stop around that time. :)

- eric

You didn't find any because one wouldn't work underwater - radio waves don't penetrate water, especially salt water, well.

Your only option....not a good one....as i see it is to give the pager to the boat captain and he can tell you when you surface.

Now, havng said that......get real !! If she is that close to giving birth, guess where you should be?? Dont miss it man it may be your only chance...

Besides....if you are in the middle of the first of two dives and get the call....can you swim to the hospital. ??...you would piss off a lot of people that could care less on a dive boat by expecting them to not dive and let you go home.

Stay on shore....experience the birth...dive later.

I have heard references to a cell phone for divers on the market now, but haven't verified it. Obviously (?) it would have to be teathered to an antenna topside and that would never do in the kelp forests here.

Personally I prefer NOT to carry one even topside. I'm not that important that someone needs to contact me any time of day. My time is my time. Just as computers have "ruined" my life the last twenty years so would a cell phone! Of course you have a valid reason for a pager.

Dr. Bill

If yuor wife is expecting, and you are that concerned that she'll call you....

Why are you diving without her there ? Wouldn't it make more sense to either not go, or ring her along as a spectator?

I love to dive too, but if your that concerned....

Believe me, when the time comes, I'll be right by her side. As it is, she's trying to get me out of the house more often. :) I was thinking more more like what if something unexpected comes up a month from when she's due? This being our first born and how things rarely go according to plan with us, I'm being, if anything, overly careful rather than careless.

- eric

Very well-intentioned, but also remember that there are very few pager message broadcast towers in the middle of the ocean. There are often even blackout areas in urban centres... I would be surprised if you even got reception on the boat in most cases.

im not normally a mean or insensetive person, but you have to be f&*@king kidding, stay with your wife, one dive wont kill you.

fenderbender29:
im not normally a mean or insensetive person, but you have to be f&*@king kidding, stay with your wife, one dive wont kill you.

LOL, hopefully that dive is over and the baby has been born and doing fine being the thread was started in 6/03 and the baby was due in 8/03. :wink:

steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom