UW Elect. Connect for Dive Rite LED Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JSDIVER

Registered
Reaction score
I have a pair of 10W HID lights (purchased about 8 to 10 years ago) that I converted the battery from lead cell to NiMH batteries (converted about 3 years ago). Currently I am converting the HID light heads to LED 700 canister lights. Being the fool that I am, I did not even charge or try the 2 new NiMH batteries I converted too until about two years after I purchased them and had all kinds of problems with the lights at that point. Anyways, with the original HID set up I had a Y-connect so I could run both 10 watt HID lights off of one battery. Dive Rite has informed me that they no longer carry the UW connectors for the canister head. Instead now they run one cable between the LED light and canister head, meaning, if I can't find one more UW elect connect like the ones I currently have on the one canister head cable and two cables from the lights I currently have, then I can't purchase a second canister head and set it up the same way. Dive Rite indicated that they have never tested the UW electrical connect with the current LED system, especially with two light heads, but know that two light heads on one battery will half the burn time of the battery (from 4 hours to 2 hours) and potentially shorten the life expectancy of the NiMH batteries.

First I was hoping to find someone with a working UW elect cable/connect like I'm speaking of? Then if not, should I live with the connection system I currently have and not get the second canister lid (acknowledging the drawbacks I just listed) or should I get the heads on one cable with separate canister heads? The other drawback of the two light heads on separate canister heads is that means if I wish to dive video (what I use the lights for) I have to carry two batteries and casings, ie: more weight and space taken up during travel (this was the reason I switched from the lead cell batteries to the NiMH bats). The 10W HID lights gave me about 500 lumens a piece, where the LED 770s will give me 700 lumens individually or 1400 lumens together, plus the LED bulbs have a wider diffusion for the UW video I do. Any thoughts/recommendations regarding this? Dive Rite needs to know fairly quickly what I want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom