UW Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly:
And exactly what do you need to talk about while diving?

Dave (aka "Squirt")

And if you needed to breath underwater God would have given you gills. There are lots of operations where communications are not only convenient but essential. From a safety standpoint, analyze almost any diving accident and just having the capability to say "I need a hand over here" could have made a significant difference. Think it through, what other sport are you gagged and your hearing muffled? Forced to communicate by banging on your equipment, flash a light, write on pieces of plastic or use hand signals? No doubt there will be a few that will come back with "I go diving because I don't want to talk to anyone" or similar sentiments. There are also some people that I wouldn't want to be stuck in a car with let alone have to listen to them on a dive. That's a matter of picking your dive buddies. You don't have to talk if you don't want to.

Is it for everyone? No, but amazing efforts have gone in to working around the handicap of not being able to communicate underwater. Some certainly better than others. While the equipment isn't inexpensive, it's pretty reasonable when you think of the capabilities that it gives you. If all you do is kick around, look and visit the underwater world and you're in it of the "zen" of diving, then you probably wouldn't want comms. However, if you have specific tasks, then you would probably find that communications increase your efficiency. Personally, I have my comms tied into my video system. Everything said underwater goes into my camera. My videos aren't silent movies anymore.

.... --- .-.. -.-- / -.-. .-. .- .--. --..-- / -.. .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / ... . . / - .... . / ... .. --.. . / --- ..-. / - .... .- - / ... . .- / -- --- -. ... - . .-. ..--.. / .. - / .--- ..- ... - / ... .-- .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- . -.. / -... --- -... / .. -. / .- / ... .. -. --. .-.. . / -... .. - . / .. .----. -- / --. . - - .. -. --. / - .... . / .... . .-.. .-.. / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... . .-. .

I think I'd rather use hand signals.

I was going to just use audio frequencies but the sonar idea would have the advantage of not being audable to other divers. If you are going to go to this expense though I guess the Buddy Phones would be the answer.Just looking for an inexpensive way to communicate and have found the slate to be to slow and Sign requires visual contact. I am learning it though. As far as learning the morse code Boy Scouts used to do it. Ive been a Ham operator since 1957 and do CW at 20wpm+.OK now I'm showing my age. I forget that every one is looking for no effort solutions to things now and have a lot more money to throw away than us old farts!! Certainly didn't mean to stire up a hornets nest. Lets just kill this thread

MSilvia:
.... --- .-.. -.-- / -.-. .-. .- .--. --..-- / -.. .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / ... . . / - .... . / ... .. --.. . / --- ..-. / - .... .- - / ... . .- / -- --- -. ... - . .-. ..--.. / .. - / .--- ..- ... - / ... .-- .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- . -.. / -... --- -... / .. -. / .- / ... .. -. --. .-.. . / -... .. - . / .. .----. -- / --. . - - .. -. --. / - .... . / .... . .-.. .-.. / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... . .-. .

I think I'd rather use hand signals.
Poor old Bob !! Thanks for a laugh. di di di dit di dit / di di di dit di dit You done Good
dah di dit \ di dah dit di di di di dah di dah dah di dah di dah di dit \ di dah dit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom