UW Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking about building a tone generator for sending morse code UW should be a buget way to communicate at speeds up to 15 words per ,min. Better than a slate!

Any HAM radio operators out there?

And how many divers you think are versed in Morse code?

Look, for what it's worth, most divers enjoy the silence of the dive. It's already too much with tank bangers, rattlers, horns and whatever new sound device that comes along.

The last thing I would want to hear is a bunch of pings and pongs while trying to enjoy my dive.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

As long as it's RF freqs I wouldn't mind. I get annoyed at computers that beep constantly and know others do too. Also, as Dave said, just how many divers do you think you are going to buddy up with that will know code? I'm a licensed HAM and don't know it.

Joe

Sideband:
As long as it's RF freqs I wouldn't mind. I get annoyed at computers that beep constantly and know others do too. Also, as Dave said, just how many divers do you think you are going to buddy up with that will know code? I'm a licensed HAM and don't know it.

Joe

Joe,

RF doesn't work for any distance underwater. It would have to be ultrasound (sonar).

reeldive:
Thinking about building a tone generator for sending morse code UW should be a buget way to communicate at speeds up to 15 words per ,min. Better than a slate!

Any HAM radio operators out there?

How about this, you get a slate or wet notes and write out the dots and dashes and hand that to your buddy. That way you get to use morse code but you don't annoy the other divers in the area. If you dive too far away from your buddy, you could carry some string and use "tug" morse code signals by tugging on the line in code. Again, this would not disturb any other divers unless of course they get tangled in the line. :D

Mark Vlahos

Use American Sign Language. Learning to finger spell is pretty straight forward. Easier than Morse Code.

mntdiver:
Joe,

RF doesn't work for any distance underwater. It would have to be ultrasound (sonar).

It only has to go 15 feet (the buddy is close by, right?) and low freqs will do it. The plan has a bigger flaw than choice of frequency. :)
You are correct though that RF is limited.
Joe

Why not just get a pair of Buddy Phones and communicate?

mntdiver:
Why not just get a pair of Buddy Phones and communicate?
$$$$ About $1200+ for an AGA and buddy phone...each.
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom