UV Fluorescence without a Yellow Filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlkcarlk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any tips on simulating a Yellow Barrier Filter in Adobe Lightroom (or Photoshop)? My camera, a Canon GX7 shooting raw, has good color response and I didn't use a physical filter.

Here is a sample photo in Adobe Raw format (DNG):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkoPP4cC5J64pt95je_991Kvtsm5wQ

histogram.JPG
Histogram
IMG_5645.jpg
JPEG Sample

- Carl

There is a plug-in called Tiffen-DFX that can do what you want (Costs $95 though)
Bill

As you probably know the blue light is drowning out all the fluorescence as it's fainter than your light source is. Assuming you just want to wipe out the blue, open a levels layer and select the blue channel and slide the black point all the way across to the right. This wipes out the blue channel, leaving the others intact. Better to do this in your Raw converter probably if it provides the capability, but if it doesn't work in 16 bit. Next step would be to boost the brightness some. That will get you 95% of the way there. Most plug ins just do stuff you could do yourself in an action or with the regular controls.

BTW wouldn't it be easier just to use the blocking filter?

This is original poster Carl. Thanks for the tips. I kind of wish I'd brought a physical yellow filter, but honestly, I didn't think of it because the GX7 M2 doesn't need a filter for daytime underwater use. Anyway, thanks to the suggestions! I found the "Channel" control in Photoshop and it looks pretty good. I think this, plus some exposure boosting and I'll be done. (I wish there was a slider to control the blue and I wish Lightroom could do this)
- Carl
noblue.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom