Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermaidil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I having been reading up on Utila and it sounds like an interesting dive place (whale sharks) plus it sounds like the laid-back, low-key sort of place I would really like (vs Roatan). I don't care for the resort type places. I read ScubaFriend's advice about being wary of PADI vs non-PADI dive shops trying to get your business quickly. But, can someone give me advice about where to stay on Utila. I would prefer to be directly on the water so I can swim and snorkel whenever I want. Who's been there and where did you stay? Money is not my criteria, it's the atmosphere. Thanks,

Hey mermaid,

Utila is where I got certified, never diving to AOW in five days. That tells you a thing or two about the atmosphere. Lots of people, esp Europeans for some reason, go there to get certified cheap and fast. It's gorgeous diving in a fun and laid back place.

But then there's the toilet paper and plastic all over the beaches. Unless things have changed a lot since 97 this was a place where people really didn't realize what they had and weren't taking care of it. Since it's so cheap there, so people treat it that way, esp the locals.

Went with the Bay Island College of Diving and really liked their organization. Seemed much more professional than other places I observed and from comparing notes with others. At the time they offered a pkg deal with diving and their little hotel up the street, which was a nice place. People also offer rooms in their houses and sometimes little huts right by the water for rent, so you can find some pretty cool spots if you look around.

I'd say before choosing anywhere to stay, make sure you check out the beach to make sure there isn't raw sewage dumping in where you want to do your shore dives.

Have a great time. And beware of unpurified water, drinks with ice, salads, etc. I got something wicked nasty in Honduras. :flush:

:daisysmil

Hey thanks: I've been cerified for a while, so it's not that question. But - ugh - nasty beaches?? I've been to other Caribbean islands, etc. where the locals don't appreciate what they have either. Why is that?? Number one - they are living in paradise, don't they realize what they have? and Number two - don't they want the tourist dollar? I don't mind helping out a local economy, outside the States, but geez, keep it clean. Actually, I was so indoctrinated(from growing up in the States) to not litter that it really bothers me to see these Caribbean paradises trashed by their own people. It's really too bad. By the way - help me out here (I'm clueless-sometimes) what is AOW??

coppermaus:
Hey mermaid,

Utila is where I got certified, never diving to AOW in five days. That tells you a thing or two about the atmosphere. Lots of people, esp Europeans for some reason, go there to get certified cheap and fast. It's gorgeous diving in a fun and laid back place.

But then there's the toilet paper and plastic all over the beaches. Unless things have changed a lot since 97 this was a place where people really didn't realize what they had and weren't taking care of it. Since it's so cheap there, so people treat it that way, esp the locals.

Went with the Bay Island College of Diving and really liked their organization. Seemed much more professional than other places I observed and from comparing notes with others. At the time they offered a pkg deal with diving and their little hotel up the street, which was a nice place. People also offer rooms in their houses and sometimes little huts right by the water for rent, so you can find some pretty cool spots if you look around.

I'd say before choosing anywhere to stay, make sure you check out the beach to make sure there isn't raw sewage dumping in where you want to do your shore dives.

Have a great time. And beware of unpurified water, drinks with ice, salads, etc. I got something wicked nasty in Honduras. :flush:

:daisysmil

AOW = Advanced open water. FYI, I stayted at Laguna Beach Resort which I know is what you are looking for. I loved it though and it did have a nice beach despite the sand flies that are everywhere on the island. I would not suggest going to Utila for the beaches though. Also, don't go there expecting to see whale sharks unless you are going in the next few weeks. In summertime, they are almost as rare as hen's teeth.

I was in Utila last July...it's an amazing place...beautiful diving, great visibility...the "beaches" if you can call them that...they are VERY small, if you want big beaches don't go there...but I didn't notice any dirty beaches, they are clean now...I didn't see any garbage while snorkeling around infront of the town...I guess things have changed since '97.

I stayed at the "Mango Inn"...great place, very clean and cool, plus they have one of the best restaurants in the Island...although it's quite far from the beach...I dove with "Utila Dive Center" and I must say I was instantly convinced to dive with them again, very professional, good boats, new equipment, great DMs...plus you get discount if you stay at the Mango...

Laguna Beach Resort is an all inclusive hotel...and if you don't mind the money and being away from town (the resort can't be accessed by land, only boat)...then for what I've read, it's a really good place.

Be sure to check out Coco Loco's it's the place to hang out...pretty cool...and check out RJ's BBQ too, great place to eat...

I'll be in Utila next month (March 19th-21st)...hunting for the Whale Shark...the best month to see it are from Feb-May...so if you want to see the Whale Shark I suggest you go soon...

Hope you have a great trip and some great dives (as will I next month WHOOO HOO!! :) )

Al

my advice for you is freddys place or rubys inn. both around $15 a night and in the heart of the 'town' and on the water front but i'd go for freddys as best veranda on the island and always a breeze. they are currently extending the beach with no plasic bags or what not overly evident. as for diving i'd recommend utila water sports as affiliated with a big resort so some of the best boats on the island. what ever your choice you'll love utila. i stayed for 4 months and wish it could have been longer

I'm really glad to hear they've cleaned the place up. Also sounds like it's getting more expensive since I was paying about $5 a night for a decent hotel, but cleaner and more expensive certainly go together, and it's worth it. I would gladly go back there.

Mermaidil,

Wife and I have been to Utila three time in past year. 5 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks. Last time in November 2003. I have posted a number of items regarding Utila. You may wish to do a search and pull up some of my posts.

It's little, like the carribean was about 40 years ago, and the people are anything but presumtious. Getting there can be a little bit of a challenge, but not difficult for a traveler as opposed to a tourist. The all inclusive resorts (3) can be quite expensive compared to the realistic local economy. We have friends in the all-inclusive business on the island but we always "walk on" and go with the flow.

We love the place. It is our favorite. Will be going back again soon. Send me a PM if you wish, we'll be glad to help if we can.

Regards,

Hi Mermaidil

We have stayed on Utila many times and it has been cleaned up considerably in the last 2 years. We dived with Deep Blue Divers a 5 star PADI shop and found them to be excellent. All their fun dives are led by instructors with a maximum group size of 6, they have excellent equipment , great boat and after the dives their very knowledgeable instructors will go through their fish and creature books with you and show you what you saw. Always a great experience with them and in Whaleshark season their boat captain is one of the best at finding them, we have seen them many times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom