Utila Travel Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

temperaturewuss

Registered
Reaction score
Hi There

I am traveling to Utila in April to complete my Rescue Diver Certification. I will be there for a week on my own, and would appreciate any tips or hints from people who have been there before.

I am booked with Utila Dive Center.. so feedback on that company would be great.

I also want to know about good places to eat, and safety tips for a female traveling alone.

Finally... you hear a lot about sand fleas... what are some good tips to fend them off. Does insect repellant with deet work?

Thanks for the help!

temperaturewuss:
I like that name.

You are going to a divers paradise. Look below and note the related searches. You are asking for a lot of readily available info, but others will chime in with amplifications.

My advice is some you didn't ask for. Do all of your pre study and reading before you arrive. Do all of the quizzes. Get all of the book work done before you get there, use your time on the island to full advantage.

You will be as safe as you wish to be on Utila.

I have been to Roatan, one of the other Bay Islands and will be going back again in April. As far as being a female traveling alone, use the common sense you would anywhere. I would dress a little on the conservative side and make sure you can haul your own luggage.

Insect repellant with DEET will work, but be sure to apply it often enough to have continuous coverage. You will also need pills for malaria. Visit the CDC's website for travel. I don't have it handy, but you can find it easily with a search engine or a link from your airline. Good luck on your certification.

I think you'll love Utila.

The sand flies aren't too bad if you use a product with a mineral oil base from the knees down. Usually they are only a factor on the beach and when the winds are light.

Utila Dive Centre is a great outfit. Informal and relaxed yet very professional.

I'll be going back myself in March.

Sea ya!

OH!

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I have traveled on my own to several places in Hawaii, Grand Turk, Belize and a few other places, so I am pretty sure I can take care of myself. I guess I am just asking about safety to satisfy my mother. :)

For example, there is a lot of noise out there about Belize City being not too safe for American Tourists. My girlfriend, traveling alone there, actually was robbed at gunpoint. So... as a precaution, when I went there, I took a charter flight from Belize City Airport to Caye Caulker, so I wouldn't have to go into the city alone. Caye Caulker was safe and friendly, IMHO.

I can haul my own luggage. I have a flight booked into Roatan, and will most likely book a charter from there, so travel is not my biggest concern. I was just wondering if a woman alone is safe walking to a restaurant for dinner or exploring Utila for photo opps.

Thanks for the welcome!

temperaturewuss:
I was just wondering if a woman alone is safe walking to a restaurant for dinner or exploring Utila for photo opps.

It certainly isn't Belize City.

It's safer as an island than Coxen Hole or Barrio Fuertes (Roatan) are as a town.

It's probably safer than the West End of Roatan. Way less drunks. (Maybe not by percentage of total population, but more like less in raw numbers)

Tell Mom not to worry. Just be a smart tourist. Same as anywhere.

Go, have fun. I would have no issues about sending my 20 year old neice there.

Both Doc and steve have given good info. You're gonna love Utila. Like Doc said...do as much as you can before you go, if possible. Don't worry too much about being "alone" on Utila, or particularly, at UDC. Historically, both UDC and Deep Blue are pretty social.

Regards,

temperaturewuss:
Hi There

I am traveling to Utila in April to complete my Rescue Diver Certification. I will be there for a week on my own, and would appreciate any tips or hints from people who have been there before.

I am booked with Utila Dive Center.. so feedback on that company would be great.

I also want to know about good places to eat, and safety tips for a female traveling alone.

Finally... you hear a lot about sand fleas... what are some good tips to fend them off. Does insect repellant with deet work?

Thanks for the help!

We dove with UDC a couple of years ago and really liked them. We found people to be extremely friendly and wound up meeting people through UDC and then went out for meals/drinks with them. We stayed at Mango Inn--not all that close to UDC, but nice accomodations (on the more basic side). We greatly preferred Utila to Roatan.
Have a blast! The sandfleas did suck--skin so soft can work if you don't mind the smell--they get stuck it in it before they bite you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom