Utila Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,
Can you dive from the shore/beach in Utila? Thanks. Gary

Not really from most of the more popular dive resorts there is no beach diving to speak of

Wow, what a Pretty dive! (ok bad pun...)

(the site is called Pretty Bush..lol)

We also have regular and vacation customers that rent tanks and equipment from us for shore dives along a stretch of reef we call the "airport reef" - nothing to do with where the airport is today but it runs along the old airstrip that Utila had before the days of tarmac runways. This dive is almost in my back yard and it's one my favorite on island... There's a series of shallow caves or caverns that can be investigated without getting technical as you drift along this stretch of reef. A small pleasure cruiser wreck adds some interest as well.

I meant more for those living there as in " dive often without it costing much".

Hi,

My wife and I live on Utila on the East side at Paradise Cove and yes, there are several places where you can shore dive. Tank rental is $6.00 per tank and they will loan you weights at no additional charge.

As Rob says above, you can shore dive at the old airport and for that matter all the way up to Paradise Cove. If the seas are really big it is difficult to get in at some places but there are always places where you can get in.

A petticab will cost you 30Lp per person to pick-up tanks and bring to the East Side. You can always stop at our home, Tropico Vista Tranquila, right on Paradise Cove and we can show you where to go.

If I can be of further help, don't hesitate. Also where you stay determines where the closest shore diving will be so if you know, just send another message and I can direct you to the closest places.

Hi Gary,

There are great shore dives off Utila. It doesn't really matter where you enter the water.

Off Utila Town you find great places where the Utila Creek River disembogues into the sea (Great caverns). Around the airport you will find great dive sites as well. At the back site of Utila Island there are a lot of fantastic dives off beach as well. Very nice plateau at around 40 feets, then it drops to 60 - 80 feets to another plateau. The first plateau is washed out, forming very nice tunnel-like half-caverns.

It's a great diving place. Best regards, David Reumer

We must be talking about a different Utila! The Utila I know doesn't have any rivers, only swamps and lagoons. It's too small to form a river. We also have no beaches where you can do a good dives from.

OTHO If you are down on the Cays there are a number of great shore dives to do, if you are already on the Cays! You need a boat to get to them and you need a boat to move between them, but you can enter the water easy enough from all of them.

Most of this Utila has fringing reef right up to the shore line making shore entries difficult. Where this isn't the case we tend have fossilized corals and volcanic rock making walls that are impossible for shore entry. But the trickiest thing of all is that 90% of the islands shoreline is inaccessible from the town.

Having said all that, if you know the right places, or you are staying at one of the resorts there are some great shore dives. Deep Blue and Laguna Beach resorts both offer shore dives from their own docks which make access much easier. Airport Reef from Lighthouse to Rocky Point and even further round to Redcliff is accessible and has some great dives, Redcliff noted for it's sqim throughs, Rocky Point has a real nice deep dive, Ted's Point is always pretty, and the drift from Ted's down to Moonhole I already mentioned (my personal favorite!). You need to be careful of critters, corals and yourself when entering and exiting.

-rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom