Utila - Question about Paradise Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone who has been to Utila, has anyone been out diving with Paradise Divers? I'm interested in hearing any feedback about the operator, the staff, the boats and their rental equipment. Also, which dive sites did you visit and which did you enjoy most.

Thanks

Mike,

There are numerous dive ops on Utila and they all dive the same sites. Northside....deeper and spectacular......southside......more shallow and colorful.

Regards,

I do not know the Paradise people personally, though they are the next shop over. I dont like to badmouth competition, so I will not indulge in any speculation. I can however provide some facts. Here goes

All shops on the Island, except 2, are members of a Dive Coalition. This group sets minimum prices, as well as some other standards. Paradise is one of those two shops, and is cheaper than other shops, which are already pretty cheap. Buyer beware, you often get what you pay for in diving. I do know that they rarely, if ever, visit the north side. We have had customers here who dove with them for a week and never left the harbor area, despite the availability of dozens of other sites.

In the last couple of week, their boat has broken down several times and had to be towed in.

We have recieved several 'refugees' from Paradise in the past week or so, with a variety of complaints, from diving the same nearby sites over and over to mice in the lodging rooms. I spoke with these people personally, these are their comments, not mine, as I have never stayed there, or dived with them.

I cannot speak for their gear, never seen it. OW course there costs 165 dollars total, all inclusive, lodging and 2 fun dives included. 209, with either lodging or 2 fun dives is standard on the island. You may find this telling.

There are many other shops on the island catering to a variety of needs. Some are better than others, most are fine, just find one you like personally. As an aside, all shops advertise North side dives, but most will only go with a minimum number of divers. Our shop will go every day, weather permitting, even if there is only one diver on the boat. I believe that only one or two other shops will do this.

I have tried to present facts as facts, and hearsay as hearsay. I hope this info helps, if you have any more questions, just ask.

Finally, about Utila in general, it has a reputation for 'renegade' diving, lack of standards etc.... In years past this rep was well deserved, less so now, there are many of us trying to raise the bar. There are still throwbacks though.

Caveat Emptor!!!!!

I really have no personal interests here, I am new to the island, and we are busy, I dont need to poach customers.

More info about Utila can be found at aboututila.com

hopefulist:
Please share in a way that others of us can make sound choices - I'm heading to Utila next summer.

I dive Utila rather frequently. I have never dove with Paradise. If you are not going to dive with one of the established all-inclusives (3) then here is the best suggestion I can make.

Get to Utila (you can walk anywhere) Walk out Main Street and personally speak with the various dive operators ( about 11) Check out their gear and boats. Take the time to watch them leave and come in, if you have the time. Also, this will give you time to check out the various places you can stay, which vary significantly in price.

I will be there for at least a month in February. If things have not changed, and they may, I will be diving again with Deep Blue Divers, Deep Blue Resort, Ecomarine/Gunters and Laguna Beach Resort. www.deepblueutila.com, www.riconet.de/ecomarine.

Also www.aboututila.com is a good source site.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom