Utila or Turneffe Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm always amused when people say the Blue Hole is an unimpressive dive.

As far as choosing between Turneffe's and Utilia - I've done both of them and thought they were both great, coin toss!

I'm always amused when people say two places that couldn't be more different than each other are a coin toss.

It makes me question if they have ever actually been there themselves. The only similarities between the two are that you'll likely get to each via a boat ride, as soon as you step on the dock the similarities between the two will end as they are almost complete opposite experiences from each other.

One you're diving with big stuff, the other you're diving with small stuff. One is considered cheap the other is considered expensive. One has a community, a town the other has... well a couple of buildings... One has the possibility of seeing whale sharks one does not. One you're diving with an independent dive shop the other its the house dive op. One has restaurants to eat at, one has no restaurants. One is known for pumping out and training tons of dive masters, the other I doubt has ever graduated anyone even in a rescue diver course. One is known to have a history of violence one does not. One you will always be staying at a dedicated all inclusive resort, the other you can't even if you wanted to. One is known as a young persons back packer destination done on the cheap the other is the total opposite. One is known for being a salt water fly fishing destination where you can land the ultimate triple crown of bonefish, tarpon and permit in one trip, the other is not. One even has an air strip the other doesn't. One is populated enough it has vehicles on the island the other you're lucky to spot a golf cart.....other than that, I agree, pretty much a coin toss.

Ha - as someone who has been to both - I will back up chillyinCanada's logical deductions!. Utila (which is a PITA to get to) will provide much more social opportunities/restaurants/etc. than Turneffe, in which you will be stuck in the same place with perhaps a handful of people (who you may not like or not). I stayed on Glover's Reef recently and had that situation. Also, note that depending on the type of resort you stay at, the dive shop may have minimum numbers of people for certain dives (blue hole, etc.) and you may find yourself with limited options if not everyone staying at the resort is diving or wants to do the same dives you do. You won't have that issue in Utila, for sure.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2014 at 04:14 PM ----------

geez. By coin toss, I just meant that they are both excellent diving and I would have a hard time choosing between them not that they are identical. I'd also have to flip a coin between a multi-day dive trip in Southern California and Belize - but that's because I really like diving in both places. Sea Lions vs. Sea Turtles = Coin Flip! :)

I've been to several places in Belize and spent a good amount of time on Utila, but neither trip involved a resort. I did not stay on Turneffe Island, but as I recall it, I preferred the diving in that area over Utila. On Utila, the dives are close to the island, so you have a convenience factor. There are a couple of resorts, but many people instead choose to put their own diving and accommodations together. The best diving in Belize is out on the atolls, and as I understand it, the choice on Turneffe Island is between a couple of resorts. It's a long-ish boat ride out to Turneffe from Ambergris/Caulker. I would gladly stay on Turneffe Island, avoid the boat ride, and treat myself to a resort and some spectacular diving.

geez. By coin toss, I just meant that they are both excellent diving and I would have a hard time choosing between them not that they are identical. I'd also have to flip a coin between a multi-day dive trip in Southern California and Belize - but that's because I really like diving in both places. Sea Lions vs. Sea Turtles = Coin Flip! :)

Understood, as long as a tank is on your back you're a happy camper, the OP appeared to be looking for a bit more specifics according to his questions.

I'm sure we would have fun diving together, but if you ever decided to write travel guide books, I wouldn't be buying any from you, as they would probably be something like

Page 1 - Belize- great diving, love it.
Page 2 - Hawaii - great diving, love it.
Page 3 - Mexico - great diving, love it.
Page 4 - Florida Keys - great diving, love it.
:rofl3: :D

Last edited:
And Turneffe isn't a pain to get to?

Last time I went to Utila, i was on a non stop charter Toronto to Roatan and then took an island hopper to Utila and was there by 3 PM. Not too bad.

And Turneffe isn't a pain to get to?

It took almost 5 years for the stars finally to align where the arrivals and departures and the pick up times and drop off times of the resort finally worked conveniently for us. And the boat ride back and forth is down right painful, you make the best of it, but the alternative helicopter transport at $1800 a person wasn't in the budget.

I dunno Doctorfish, maybe you've got a point. Do you have the flight schedule and prices for the flight from Roatan to Utila? Seems I've seen you speak to this flight before. Why is it no one else is doing it? Look back in the thread; did you see one poster's trip plan to get go Utila? San Pedro Sula? Guatemala? Rough ferry crossing etc etc etc. Sorry makes no sense to me. Roatan is a very beautiful island. Why leave it once you've arrived. You are correct of course, I've not been diving in Utila. And not JUST because of the pain in the butt factor.

My 1st dive trip was on 2005 at Utila. Will never forget that one. Planning a trip in Feb, cant decide back to Utila or Turneffe Island. How about some feed back on this issue. I do think the diverse dive sights at Utila makes that destination wonderful. Not sure about Turneffe Island. Now, the Blue Hole is most of what many folks talk about. I have been told it is a must, just to say that one has done it. But, it is not worth what the other sights have to offer. Thanks

I would throw in a third option to your choices...Roatan. So many different ways to enjoy yourself form AI purely dive operators to the other end of the spectrum of eco-tourism with the opportunity to dive...and much easier to get to.

Chilly, Sunwing Charters does Toronto Roatan every Monday all winter That's $670 Canadian Dollars.

Scuba Holidays organized the package for us on Utila at Laguna Beach including a quick Roatan-Utila flight as well as pick up at the airstrip.
The overall package was relatively inexpensive for all inclusive, and Laguna Beach had good accommodation, good dive op and boats, OK food.
Only hotel on the island that is oceanfront and has a pool.
It's a quick run into Utila Town anyway and the restaurants there are dirt cheap if you don't like the dinner menu at Laguna.

I can't compare Utila to Turniffe directly as I have never been to Turniffe.
It's on my agenda for this winter.

I can compare Utila to Roatan: Utila has better diving IMO, and you might see a whale shark if you are lucky.

Sunwing Airlines
WG784
Champagne Flights
YToronto (YYZ)Mon. Dec 08, 2014
8:15 am
Roatan (RTB)Mon. Dec 08, 2014
12:05 pm
$670

Utila is very easy to get to if you are near Toronto or Montreal. Every Monday through the winter, direct to La Cieba or Roatan.
This will be our second trip to Utila via La Cieba, and we did three to Roatan prior to that.
I haven't been to Turneffe Island though so can't compare them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom