Utila or Turneffe Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Booch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My 1st dive trip was on 2005 at Utila. Will never forget that one. Planning a trip in Feb, cant decide back to Utila or Turneffe Island. How about some feed back on this issue. I do think the diverse dive sights at Utila makes that destination wonderful. Not sure about Turneffe Island. Now, the Blue Hole is most of what many folks talk about. I have been told it is a must, just to say that one has done it. But, it is not worth what the other sights have to offer. Thanks

The only reason to do the blue hole trip if you go to Turneffe Island Resort is number one it will be included in your trip costs already as part of your package, so you might as well go or you won't be diving that day, and number two is to get to do the two dives after the blue hole which are leaps and bounds better than the blue hole.

Turneffe Island beats Utila any day of the week! Not even close...

Blue Hole may not be your thing, but I enjoyed it. Very different, felt prehistoric...

Utila over Turneffe hands down.. Been to Utila 11 times. Been to Turneffe once..

Of the two, I have only been to Utila. Utila has the best variety of diving sites I have ever seen: wall dives, muck dives, sea mounts, shallow coral reefs and a few wreck dives. Utila seems to be heavily fished so large fish are not common. It is great for macro life. It has the healthiest corals I have seen.

I've been to Roatan a number of times, can't speak specifically to Utila. Haven't stayed out at Turneffe but have done minimum 50 dives at Turneffe and Halfmoon Caye.

If you are thinking back fondly of Utila, is it strictly for the diving there or is the island life also part of it?
There's no comparison between the two with regard to Turneffe.

I've had amazing dives at Turneffe and Halfmoon Caye wall is still one of my worldwide favorites. Not much muck diving though to my recollection.

If you do go to the Blue Hole, try to go with an open mind. Neither expect it to see it as Mike does, nor as I do but rather find your own experience there. Hopefully, you will enjoy it for its uniqueness. If not, oh well, you'll have been there done that. :)

I'm always amused when people say the Blue Hole is an unimpressive dive. I did it twice this year in both January and in April and both times fantastic, including between 7-15 sharks (and one hammerhead!). The sharks are there pretty frequently, and even without them, the dive is pretty unique and eery. The dives after Blue Hole are also very impressive, however. As far as choosing between Turneffe's and Utilia - I've done both of them and thought they were both great, coin toss!

Thanks jpecht, I'm always amused by people who haven't been to one place or the other and still offer an opinion re preference.

I'd be interested in input from others who have been to both.

Doctorfish, for clarity, I was not comparing the diving between Utila and Turneffe. As you so rightly pointed out, I've not been diving in Utila because i think it's a pain in the ass to get there.

I was comparing a village to an island with a dedicated resort on it. Do I have to have been to Utila to know the difference?

Back
Top Bottom