Utila Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lthomas132

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like our group of 3 couples are going to Utila in Sept. Seems that most are inclined to stay at Utila Lodge - Scuba Diving Caribbean Waters, Utila, Honduras - Utila Lodge for the convenience. I was wondering if any of you have been diving with this shop? Haven't seen much feedback on them. 3 of us are divers but not the wives. Will the wives have plenty of things to keep them entertained? Thanks

Oh well, I guess all the crowds just go to Roatan. That's why we decided to try Utila, to get away from the cruise ships & hustle /bustle of Roatan.

I'd suggest Utopia Village...freshly renovated, new pool, fresh dive boat. You can see all there is to see in Utila town in 30 minutes. I have some summer deals for Utopia and LBR but nothing for Utila Lodge.

I would not take non diving wives to Utila. The town is one street. If they are beach goers, they need to use lots of deet products to protect against sand fleas.

i would recommend either utopia resort or the pineapple house rental on treasure beach. utila town ,which the lodge is in the center of, is the least attractive part of the island imho and only has two small beaches, both options i've named are actually on a beach. another option is to rent a private island, little cay and sandy cay are "desert islands" each with its own house and utila cays diving (utila' best reviewed dive company) picks up from those islands, they also pick up from treasure beach.

What are you trying to be convenient to, and what sorts of things are your wives interested in? I think Utila town is a mildly interesting place to check out for an hour or so, but may not be where you really want to stay unless you are really looking for an inexpensive/backpacker vibe trip. Utopia might be one to look at - though if it's convenient depends on your definition of convenience. :) (We were there some years ago but not since all the changes.)

Roatan, by the way, is not necessarily crowded and you will not necessarily even see a cruise ship. It all depends where you stay. It does happen to be much easier to get to.

Last edited:
Will the wives have plenty of things to keep them entertained?
My guess is no. My buddy rode into town once - 2 hrs. later he was back having seen it all. Ask the wives if this is enough to do: Utila Official Site - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras - Tropical Island Paradise

All travel to town from Utopia or Laguna Beach is via their boats since they're on the other side of the Mangrove Lagoon also. We'd often see the LB boats heading over most afternoons but otherwise the wives are pretty limited to the resort amenities.

In September there's a higher chance of snorkeling with Whale Sharks statistically. That can either be pretty exciting or really boring. Sometimes both - 2 mins. of excitement followed by 2 hrs. of looking for the next one.

One of my dive buds is doing his referral for AOW with Bay Island College of Diving, BICD -Bay Islands College of Diving - Dive Shop Utila . Are they the dive shop associated with Utila Lodge? We were wondering if we would be diving together while he is doing his referral. Looking forward to it all!

I have been to Utila lodge. we all had a great time diving and wandering around to all the dive bars. Solid dive op, clean rooms, good food, everything was on point. non-divers would not find Utila to be all that fun IMO. "one street" is true, but this is a ten ft wide "road". There are fun bars and restaurants, but if had 7 days to spend wandering I would get bored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom