Utila in late August/early September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Questions for Utila "regulars" --

We're planning to head to Utila for a couple weeks the last week in August. What's the diving like that time of year?

We're planning to get lots of UW video and stills for our conservation/education website (www.marinebio.org) so we're hoping to find lots critters! Whalesharks would be great of course, but since it's not "high season" we'll be happy with good footage of others as well. We prefer a flexible dive op who will understand our needs and interests - which is primarily to share marine life with the world to promote good stewardship of the Ocean.

We were planning to do the AI package with Mango Inn/UDC, but now I'm thinking it might be cheaper to do it "a la carte."

I'm leaning toward EcoMarine/Gunter's based on the recommendations on scubaboard - but any insight into others would be great, along with recs for the best/closest hotel (~$25 range w/ AC).

Anyone know where I can find a street map of Utila that shows where the dive ops and hotels are? I can't get a good feeling for how much walking distance is between these places. I'm a little turned off the Mango Inn after reading how far it is to the dive center. Schlepping wet gear in the heat? Not fun!

I checked out the AboutUtila.com website, but the problem I'm having is where these hotels are vs. the dive shop.

Thanks!

Joni

Hi

How many of you coming, hotel suggestion may depend on that.

No where is too far a walk in Utila, but if you let me know how many coming and you say you want to pay approx $25 for a room with Air con i can make a couple of suggestions.

Joni:
I checked out the AboutUtila.com website, but the problem I'm having is where these hotels are vs. the dive shop. Joni

Go to Google and search for: Utila Map

I got about a bazillion hits.

Hi Joni,

If you are looking for a dive op that can ofer you the most flexibility it would be best to go with a store like UDC/Mango Inn. If you want to talk about packages and customizing options you can PM me direct.

Have fun.

Nice website!

I suppose you could expect have a few rainy days towards the end of August but if you have a couple of weeks it should not be a problem for enjoyable diving (think watching raindrops ripple as they fall on the water surface). I have spent a couple of August/September months on Utila and saw much more sun than rain overall.

I am sure you can keep your gear at the UDC dive shop during your stay to avoid Schlepping, and I expect all dive shops would do the same. Mango Inn is a nice place to stay but a longer walk than most, not that it is far (about 10 mins, and I enjoy the early morning walk). I think your best option would be to find a place to stay (easy) and then spend your first evening looking around for a dive operation that suits you. If you are willing to spend a couple hours max shopping around you should find what you need. Most every shop is associated with accommodation close by the shop.

Utila is lots of fun...I am jealous!

Joni:
Questions for Utila "regulars"

Sorry about the lack of a Tourist Map on the www.AboutUtila.com web site.
It's on my list of things to do.

Regarding Accommodations close by Gunters Dive Shop;
The Sea Side Inn is directly opposite the Dive Shop (20 yards distant).
BackPacker's Lodge is the next closest (60 yards distant), and is affiliated with the Dive Shop (same owners) and offers discounts to people diving with Gunter's Dive Shop.
Roughly equi-distant at about 200 yards away (but in opposite directions) are
BayView Hotel (closer to Utila Town Centre), and
Margaritaville Hotel (closer to Chepes Beach).

Regarding the UDC/Mango Inn combo. You can always leave your dive gear in a locked room at the Dive Shop. It is about a 10-15 minute walk between the Dive Shop and the Mango Inn.

For average weather conditions in Utila during August/Spetember check out the AboutUtila.com Weather & Climate Page

Sorry about the lack of a tourist map, as previous board members have suggested searching Google will give you some maps, this one from Alton's Dive Shop
people.bath.ac.uk/ ch1phm/images/map.jpg is probably the most comprehensive. Gunters Dive Shop is not shown on the map, (each dive shop has a local tourist map, but for obvious reasons never show the other dive shops) but Gunter's is located at the bottom left-hand corner on the water, behind Captain Jack's Restaurant.

The Mango Inn is also shown on the map, but not Utila Dive Centre (again for obvious reasons). UDC is located between Alton's Dive Shop and 7 Sea Restaurant, opposite "Hole in the Wall". With regard to the map referenced above, all the Dive Shop's are located on the rim of the Harbor between Alton's Dive Shop at one end of the harbor, and Gunter's Dive Shop at the other end. It is about a 20-30 minute walk along the main street between Alton's Dive Shop and Gunter's Dive Shop.

For a long-range photograph of Gunter's Dive Shop, click on the thumbnail photograph of "Sandy Bay" on the AboutUtila.com homepage to download the high-resolution version. Zoom in on the photo and you will find Gunter's Dive Shop stretching out into the harbor (it has a white roof, two boats tied up alongside, and 3 plastic kayaks on the dock).

I hope this helps.

Mark
WebMaster: www.AboutUtila.com

Thanks Mark - this info is very helpful, as is your website! I've been all over it for the past few days comparing the options and learning more about Utila. We're counting the days. We're trying to decide between going with Gunter's/Colibri or Utila Lodge.

BTW - I found the map on Alton's last night while "surfing" thru your website.

FYI, we'll be featuring an article on the trip in a future newsletter on www.marinebio.org and will definitely direct folks to www.aboututila.com.

Thanks again!

Joni

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom