Utila and Roatan/Sand fly protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sorry if this is in the wrong section? I will be heading back to Honduras and diving in Utila in October. When I visited Roatan 2 years ago, I brough down a bottle of "Cactus Juice" which worked great as repellent and sun block. MY PROBLEM: As it it getting late in the season, my LDS is not carrying Cactus juice and I don't know who else is. Can anyone give me advice as to where to order (on the web) Cactus juice. Thanks again.

tboxcar:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section? I will be heading back to Honduras and diving in Utila in October. When I visited Roatan 2 years ago, I brough down a bottle of "Cactus Juice" which worked great as repellent and sun block. MY PROBLEM: As it it getting late in the season, my LDS is not carrying Cactus juice and I don't know who else is. Can anyone give me advice as to where to order (on the web) Cactus juice. Thanks again.

You can also try Jungle Juice at REI. I tried both Cactus Juice and Jungel Juice at Cocoview and both seemed to work well. Here's the link:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4500560&vcat=REI_SEARCH
:crafty:

shadowdiver:
Most or all of the stores/resorts/dive centers in Utila/Roatan sell cactus juice.
Most of the stores sell cactus juice in Roatan but I did not find any in Utila in july so better buy it before leaving if no stop in Roatan first...just after one dinner outside on my first night in Utila, I had more than 30 bites on my legs, better put protection even if, IMO, only baby oil worked!

Thanks everyone this is good to know, I will purchase some here in the states, as I won't be in Roatan, I used this product 2 years ago in Roatan, and was impressed especially with it's sun protection duty as well.

Funny thing I found the other day. I live in central Oregon, basically a desert. The other day I stopped at a little old mom and pop grocery store ( about 600 sq ft in size) just down the street from me. They had the best assortment of cactus juice I have ever seen! Last time I went to buy some I had to search everywhere, and the place I did get it from finally had very little. Now just what the heck does this little store have all this for? We have nothing here to bite you. Once in a while I see a mosquito.

Oh well, next trip to CoCoView in March I will know where to get some at!

Later, Hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom