UTD Expedition LED Light System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the rated 1000 lumens is closer to a 14w HID than 21w. But the 360 degree reflector slug and multiple emitter array(?) looks really interesting. I wonder how it affects the focus/hotspot.

bulb%20with%20loop%20800.jpg

Agreed, 1000 lumens is more of a 14W HID. The ability to focus the light is going to be a key component. And one of the reasons the other LED lights didn't have the perceived "punch" of a HID.

Looks nice, interesting wording in the ad though....

"Great for signaling and baddy awareness"...

I wonder how it affects the focus/hotspot.

I've seen the light. The focus is good. Impressively done for an LED light. As others have noted, however, it's not as bright as a 21W HID. With this system, you're buying robustness (LED, sealed battery) and plug and play (E/O connectors), with a nice, focusable light (not the brightest, but probably good enough for most dives). The light head is also tiny, which is ideal for those with small hands (even my remote ballast HID is probably big for some). Package doesn't come cheap, though.

Who's manufacturing this stuff?

I was going to guess Light Monkey, but the reels aren't of their new/annoying design (with the brake knob on the back side).

Looks like solid equipment. I'd love an LED light with a smaller head, but yah. Big bucks.

I've seen the light. The focus is good. Impressively done for an LED light. <snip> The light head is also tiny, which is ideal for those with small hands

It looks very much like a "regular" HID light head in the pictures. How much smaller is that head?

It does look remarkably like a Light Monkey light.

Henrik

It looks very much like a "regular" HID light head in the pictures. How much smaller is that head?

It does look remarkably like a Light Monkey light.

Henrik

It's substantially smaller than my HID.

It's substantially smaller than my HID.

In fact, from the picture above, it almost looks like a halogen slug, very nice. I hope to see one in the water soon.

I'd like to have more info as well. The numbers don't really add up. It says a 10W led but then says 13.1 V and 1.4A which is 18.3 W.

As far as lumens go I believe it is in the range of 21W HID (correct me if I'm wrong). Isn't a WA 10W HID 450 lumens?

It seems to have the overall lumen output but it just isn't as bright so lux figures for a 21W HID in the very center of the hotspot are still higher apparently.

I'm guessing this is using a 6 emitter Osram from looking at the voltage and amp numbers but it would be good to have more info so that the numbers actually add up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom