Utah Lakes data sheets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm. The closest public "warm" diving i know of is the Meadows, which is down in Fillmore. It's a good 2.5 hours from the Crater, and I'm not really sure it's worth the detour for you. DiveAddicts in Draper does rent a variety of exposure suits (including drysuits), if you want to sip from the "hardcore" cup. :wink:

Wuss, yup, and I'm ok with that :) The crater is where I go from Midvale. it's 93 degrees with about 20 ft vis and a few toys and hoops to run through if you want to practice. Also a couple of dinosaurs on the shelves and an alligator with the lower jaw broken off. Oh, and somewhere on the bottom, my daughters weight pocket - don't ask :( lol. By the way I HAVE done some cold water diving - the red sea was only 77 degrees. By the last few days, brrrr. I was only wearing swim suit and t shirt and it got to be a bit brisk.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got a settlement Art... lemme know anytime you need time in doubles (or any other diving).
jlovelady, ditto what Art said... there are more than a few divers around who love to get out.

I'd add to Art's list Deer Creek which is ok and close to the Crater. Also my current favorite is Strawberry Res for something different. Mud Creek at Strawberry is shallow (thus warmer water) and full if 10' kelp like sea weed which is fun to dive. Lots of crawfish too.

I was at Blue Lake yesterday and vis was bad, about a foot. Had two OW classes getting certified (congrats to them, new divers are a good thing!). Temp was 82.

Glad to hear you got a settlement Art... lemme know anytime you need time in doubles (or any other diving).
jlovelady, ditto what Art said... there are more than a few divers around who love to get out.

I'd add to Art's list Deer Creek which is ok and close to the Crater. Also my current favorite is Strawberry Res for something different. Mud Creek at Strawberry is shallow (thus warmer water) and full if 10' kelp like sea weed which is fun to dive. Lots of crawfish too.

I was at Blue Lake yesterday and vis was bad, about a foot. Had two OW classes getting certified (congrats to them, new divers are a good thing!). Temp was 82.

I was disappointed in the settlement. I won't be able to replace everything. Now I've got hard choices to make. I already replaced the camera and dive computer (from the stolen dive gear- also the chop saw from the stolen tools). I'm toying with the idea of bp/w set up for doubles but that may put me over the top. I'll have to talk to Deann.

You are a certified freak diving Blue Lake in a dry suit. It was in the ninties yesterday and the water had to be in the upper seventies or lower eighties. Let me guess. You're off you meds or something. :rofl3:

On the up side, I'll bet the deer fly bites didn't faze you a bit. :D

Art

I was disappointed in the settlement. I won't be able to replace everything. Now I've got hard choices to make. I already replaced the camera and dive computer (from the stolen dive gear- also the chop saw from the stolen tools). I'm toying with the idea of bp/w set up for doubles but that may put me over the top. I'll have to talk to Deann.

I'm seriously thinking about switching to sidemount... the more I study it the more I want a Nomad. So much more flexible... I'm going to set up some time with Josh to check it out...

You are a certified freak diving Blue Lake in a dry suit. It was in the ninties yesterday and the water had to be in the upper seventies or lower eighties. Let me guess. You're off you meds or something. :rofl3:</QUOTE]

Actually wasn't bad, wore only the light Fourth Element base layer (which are EXCELLENT!) and was dry and perfect temp. Was in the water for almost 2 hours and was perfect. Wasn't bad in and out either, like ya said no flys to bother me ;-)
Want all the time in doubles and dry before cave training next week - yahoo!

Rick

Welcome to Utah diving where viz is limited and some of the water is volcanically heated. Most of the water though is going to be a tad on the chilly side.

You can poll the other guys (except Farsidefan- he's a warm water wuss :D) but most of the dives are going to be 7 mil wet suit (if not dry suit) dives below the thermocline. That's Bear Lake, Fish Lake, Strawberry). The Crater is warm, probably in the 90 degree F range. I usually dive it in swim trunks and t-shirt. Blue Lake (about 2 hours west of Salt Lake) is heated by hot pots. The water there is 3 mil wet suit comfortable. I would guess in the 70's. The down side to Blue Lake is that if ROgue and his Human Lawn Dart Students are there, the silt problem can verge on phenomenal. :rofl3:

A lot of the dives in Utah are altitude dives. If your computer takes that into account, you should be OK as long as you look at a map to see what your post dive altitudes will be. Some of the mountain passes can get you up to the 9 to 10 thousand foot level which is the pressure you will find on commercial jet liners coming home from the Caribbean (i.e. flying after diving). But there can be more than one way home after a dive. For example, the Crater is in Heber, Utah. Altitude between 4 and 5 thousand feet. If you come home via Parley's Canyon (I-80) you climb to the 8 to 9000 foot level. If you come home via Provo Canyon, you drop steadily in altitude till you come out in Provo, Utah. No post dive altitude problems.

It's hard to generalize about diving in Utah. If you can be more specific, we can give you better answers. If you need dive buddies, let us know. Most of us will use any excuse to get wet. :dork2:

Have fun. Dive safe.

Art

(PS edit for the locals) I have gotten my settlement from the insurance company for the burglary. I won't be able to replace all of the dive equipment but I've already ordered some of the basics. I'm ready to dive again.

thanks art. :)

i did manage to find someone. i got to night dive the crater twice yesterday. and made it out to strawberry res today (not so good...no vis--we were at the fish cleaning station; cove and just past the island). anyways, we couldnt find the narrows or mud creek, but temp wasn't too bad in the 3mm/7mm wet suits we were floating around in... when i come back out, i do want to check out boniville...i heard there were sharks. :) sounds fun...

i just wanted some warm water because in oregon, we always have to dive with drysuits. so, that was my goal this trip. and seeing something is always a bonus. no vis...not so good. got to break in my new mares bc, so double bounus. anyways, was fun. so i'll come visit another time. thanks for the info and also for volunteering to come as buddies. :cool2:

jana

hey guys...i was just wondering, since all of you seemed to have "dived utah", lol, if you could point me to another place to dive that is close by midvale (i'm going to dive homestead crater), but may do one other-if i can find a person and a place. it doesn't have to be right next door, but i don't want it to be several hours away either. Something cool. fish or no fish, but if clarity is awesome, or there's volcanic ash or petrified wood, or something rare about the lake or whatever...that would be awesome. :) warmer, as i'm only bringing wet suits with me...thanks fellas!
j
Deer Creek Reservoir is just a few minutes from the Crater. It will be less than 10' vis. You would need a 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves below the thermocline (28'). I would be best to dive it in the morning before the boats and waverunners churn it up! I don't know of any interesting features, but there are trout and perch in the lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom