USVI island/dive operator/site/instructor recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmssetc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering a couple of weeks in the USVI between the end of November - early December.

Any recommendations for the choice of Saint Croix, Saint John, or Saint Thomas, for areas to serve as a base, and for specific dive shops?

I'd like to do 2 ~ 4 dives/day, and possibly get my Rescue and/or Solo or Self-Reliant certification. I'd prefer a shop that has nitrox, small boats (6-pack) and 'dive your own tank' rather than 45 minute timed dives. My non-diving spouse needs a place to work :( and wants easy access to a beach -- preferably a place where we could both snorkel.

I'd prefer somewhere that doesn't involve a lot of driving (more than 15 minutes?) between lodging and diving.

As a point of reference, we love Cozumel, so a similar setting (diving & choice of food within walking/easy taxi distance from lodging , some cultural/historic sites) would be strongly preferred over bars/clubs & AI hotels.

We stay in St Croix at least one week a year. We stay at Sand Castle on the beach in Frederiksted, which has a nice sandy beach and good wifi. I have heard there is good snorkeling right off the beach but haven't tried it. We always dive with Nep2une which has 6 pack boats, but like most companies it's an hour long dive. They do have nitrox as well. We usually do the 2 tank morning dives with them and then grab tanks and do a 2 hour dive on the pier. You can dive it every day and always see new things. However check the cruise ship schedule as you can't dive the pier when cruise ships are docked (not very often, but just in case). Also, We rent a car from Judi of St. Croix which is a local company that meets you at the airport and you don't have to wait in any lines. They have great service too. Taxi's are hard to come by so renting a car is your best bet. Any more questions about St. Croix feel free to ask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom