USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I understand the sinking of the USS Oriskany is scheduled for June 25. Does anyone know if there will be dive boats or other charter boats that will be available to view the sinking?

I'm sure there will be, however, diving will not be allowed until the following day from what I remember. If you are willing to charter a boat, I wouldn't see a problem with you finding a way to get out to the site.

It'll also surely be covered by the media pretty well.

Matt, you should charter you Zidiac!

10' inflatable out 25miles :D I think maybe I'd get some evil looks! LOL

I took it 1mile offshore and was really nervous, 20+miles isn't in its future!

Yes on the charter's to watch it sink. They are bringing in "dive boats" to watch the sinking from Panama City and further aways. Since it'll take several hours to sink, expect it to be a long trip. I'm afraid most likely what will happen is that we'll be out on the boat to watch it sink and there will be some sort of delay and then they'll decide they don't have enough daylight left and will wait until the next day. It'll be just my luck.

(Then I'll have to ride out in Matt's Zodiac two days in a row!)

SuPrBuGmAn:
It may take two days to reach 25miles with my 9.8hp motor :)

Matt,

I'm refitting a useless "Spare Air" bottle for Nitros-Oxide to attach to your outboard. We should be able to make the trip in about 30 minutes after that. :)

File a flight plan first with Pensacola ATC so you don't violate the Panhandle Air Defense Identification Zone.

LOL Reminds me of these things :D

http://www.flyinginflatableboats.com/FIB_p3.JPG

I actually saw one being toed on a trailer on the interstate, the wings weren't attached so I had no idea what the hell a damned little boat like that had any business with such a big motor. Course, then I saw some pics and movies of these things flying around online :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom