USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glochmann

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have recommendations for a dive charter to dive the Oriskany and a second dive site off of Pensacola?

It has been a while since I dove the O, I have dove it twice, with two different charters.

The first time with Captain Dave Mucci, which was my favorite because we were out to the site fairly quickly on the six pack boat. I believe he has since sold his boat and no longer runs charters.

The second time was with H2O Below, which is a larger boat, so not as fast getting there, but they are a excellent choice in my opinion and still running charters there.

We just went diving on Reef Cleaners with Josh. We had two excellent dives on the Oriskany. I would strongly recommend
them. Safety first!

The second time was with H2O Below, which is a larger boat, so not as fast getting there, but they are a excellent choice in my opinion and still running charters there.

It's a bit of a ride so the larger boat of H2O Below makes it less cramped and more enjoyable.

We were supposed to dive the Oriskany and Chevron Oil Rig the other weekend with Scuba Shack. Their boat is the Wet Dream. However, due to the weather, we didn't get to dive Pensacola our second and third days. So, we missed the Oriskany. We did get to dive with them our first day there on the Pete Tide II, Ocean Wind, and San Pablo.

After diving with those folks, I can honestly say that when I go back to Pensacola to dive the Oriskany (and I will), Scuba Shack is the only dive op I'll use. My wife went along as a bubble watcher. She can't dive because she has MS. And, because of her balance she had trouble moving around the boat. In retrospect, I probably should have left her at the motel. But, she had never been out as a bubble watcher and wanted to see what it was all about. The folks on Wet Dream treated her like a queen and helped her any way they could. They went above and beyond to make her comfortable. She absolutely fell in love with Captain Gene, Cathy, and Chris. The whole operation and the way they treated the rest of us divers was top notch.

Cathy (the Divemaster) brought homemade cookies, fresh pineapple, and fresh orange slices for snacks. After our second dive, Captain Gene grilled hotdogs on the back of the boat. And, on the way back in, we had home ice cream and fresh watermelon. We were so full when we got back, we couldn't eat supper that night.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of top notch dive ops in Pensacola but, for me diving with Scuba Shack and the folks on Wet Dream was like diving with family. I won't go back to Pensacola if I can't dive with them.

Hope this helps.

It's a bit of a ride so the larger boat of H2O Below makes it less cramped and more enjoyable.

Oh I think they are a great dive op, and the boat was nice, I will obviously use them again. Just saying each has its merits. Trading a large boat for diving in a small group (6-pack), getting to the dive site twice as fast, and home in half the time as well, could be preferred by some.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom