USS Oriskany - Preparing for the inevitable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo:
First of all, let me be very clear that I am in no way trying to bash Pensacola. I lived in the panhandle of florida for many years and think it is a great place to dive and to live.

That said, if Pensacola area diving were as good as Key Largo diving, people would already be flocking to Pensacola to dive as they do to Key Largo. When the Grove was sunk in Key Largo it was only the icing on the cake. The "O" sinking in Pensacola IS the cake! A darker, deeper, colder (on average), murkier (on average), and more unpredictable piece of current cake. It's huge. It will be far out and close to shipping lanes. It won't be in a diver friendly area by default. Those are all facts. If they weren't, Pensacola would be listed in every dive magazine instead of Key Largo. People would be saying, "Wow, I dove in Pensacola for a week on vacation and boy was it great!" You will likely take this peronally as you may be from the area and may work in the dive industry judging from your past (10) posts. It IS NOT my objective to bash you. Nonetheless, what I have posted IS fact so don't take it personally. Not many divers, given the option, will choose Pensacola over Key Largo and I don't think this wreck will change that for the average rec diver. Fact? Yes.

If you are in the Pensacola area and in the industry I hope this wreck is great for business and for you. And if you are in the business, you should take my post seriously as it is how the average rec diver will feel about this wreck once he/she does the math. Good luck and dive safe!

Shouldn't this thread be in the Florida section?

No offense, but I also disagree with some of your facts. Diving in the keys is a lot of fun, and I also enjoy trips down there. If I want to take my kids diving, then the keys are probably a better choice.

But for wreck diving, quantity and variety of marine life (and spearfishing) I much prefer Pensacola - my opinion. I grew up and lived in NC for years and I still prefer Pensacola - my opinion. I agree, Pensacola at 130fsw is not Key Largo at 130 fsw...and I prefer Pensacola - again...my opinion.

If the conditions were really as you seem to describe them, then I would not be here. I HATE cold murky deep wreck dives with strong currents, and I avoid such dives at all costs.

Many of your "facts" are not indeed facts other than that they are in fact your opinion, just like mine. If you don't want to dive it, then don't. If you prefer Key Largo, that's great, I won't argue. All I have done is try to dispel some of the disinformation that is flying around as "fact". Does this make 11?

archman:
I think that the Oriskany dive "industry" will more closely mirror that of the Flower Garden Banks.
With one significant difference... fishermen. I expect the O boat will be big on the larger charter captains' "special trips." However, I also expect divers to pretty much have the Island to themselves.
But we shall see.
Rick

I still am not sure yet about diving the "O". I am a rec diver and have not received my advance diver yet. I have heard that you will be required to have your advance for this dive trip. We usually us MBT Divers when in town now for our dive trips there. Has anyone heard anything on this?

I have dove both Key Largo and Pensacola. Both in which have had currents and rough conditions, this is to be expected anywhere you dive. I feel that you are very lucky to have what you call a great day for diving (calm seas, no current and great vis, I am still waiting for this). This is the luck of the draw. One of our concerns with the sinking of the "O" is what the dive shops are going to charge for this, we have heard that a two tank dive will probally run about $145 per person. Will this be that price for the first few months to make some money on the new attraction or will this be all year long? Now once you do the math with travel it might just not be worth the trip. I would rather enjoy the dive and try another location. Loved the Petes Tide, would do again. Or we could go to Key Largo and spend $65 on a two tank dive for the "SG". I also have a comment on why Pensacola is not on the dive map, from being a native to Pensacola you know the diving is good but you will hear about other places such as Key Largo, Miami or NC. If Pensacola was supported more from there local divers and would send info to the dive magazines they would probally be placed on the map, there are a lot of good wrecks, some reefs and good shore diving as well. The dive community there has to work together on this as well as divers that will travel there to dive. We have all worked and crossed our fingers to get the big "O" there now we should all make this a great site for local and out of town divers. Lets keep them all coming back.

In Texas, two-tank dive trips in our upper shelf waters run between $120-200. The Oriskany's about the same distance offshore as most of our decent rig and wreck sites.

I'd say that $145 seems about right.

The $145 price was determined by economics - more fuel, more time, and more staff being the biggest contributors. The Boats will only be able to do one trip a day to the "O".

H2Andy:
ah.... 15 minutes on air at 125 feet is deco territory (not much, true... but deco),
so i guess they were using Nitrox, probably 29%, which does gives them about
15 minutes on the bottom

i can't do the calculations right now, but by the time you start up, you're
probably seriously compromised your ability to get yourself and a buddy
to the surface safely with the air remaining.

i have to wait til tonight to work that out, though, but that's my primary
concern with doing it with a single tank. it can be done, but i don't think
it's safe, should something go wrong with air supply.

Yep, 125 fsw, you could use EAN29, Po2 is 1.39 and the EAD is 109, 16 minutes NDL.

I think the best thing about this wreck will be the ability to do a really nice multi-level dive. With a computer or the *cough* Wheel, you can descend to the flight deck, determine that yes the flight deck is flat and REALLY big. Then ascend and check out the tower, which will be much more interresting IMHO. :D

I am really looking forward to this dive. I hope to get it in this year.

dandrian:
Ok heres a question, how do you go about sinking an 800ft ship with some amount of control so it doesnt end up like the Spigel Grove?

hurricane dennis turned the spigel Grove back upright. I dove it last weekend and conditions were almost perfect

I know I don't post here much, but I just have to say that it really amuses me when some of you come on here talking about viz of ONLY 30-50ft and slightly cool water being bad conditions. That would be awesome where I dive(Texas Lakes) where viz is usually 3-10ft and three or four days a year it might be 25ft viz. Oh Ya, and even though it is 110 degrees in the middle of June it is still pretty nippy at 140+ in Lake Travis or 110+ at Possum Kingdom Lake.

This aircraft carrier sounds like it will be a cool dive site and I will definitely be heading out to see it sometime. Carry on and have a nice day!

evensplit:
The $145 price was determined by economics - more fuel, more time, and more staff being the biggest contributors. The Boats will only be able to do one trip a day to the "O".

don't forget their increased cost in insurance.

Most charter boats are only insured to operate 'X' many miles offshore. The insurance companies figure the closer they are to shore, the less likely they are to not be able to return in the event of a problem.

Also, the deeper depths of the ship and the "if you sink it, they will come" mentality of divers will also make insurers "leary".

I'm not surprised it's not more than $145 to be honest with you. Empire Mica trips ran about that ($125-$150) from Panama City a few years ago and it was about the same length trip. Now though diesel fuel is up to $3/gallon (dock price) so I figured the Oriskany trips would be higher than $145.

Divmstr 223. Much needed is the input from a carrier rider. Having chased you guys all over the Med and elsewhere on a destroyer I've been there too. The real thrill will be swimming thru the hanger deck from side to side. Proper gear, proper Quals, proper plans, might do it. Stay wet-safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom