USS Oriskany - Preparing for the inevitable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Proper training means a lot ... overhead, decompression, and at the very minimum, advanced Nitrox (trimix recommended)
Exactly...if you are thinking of doing anything past the deck, at a minimum you should be trained in deco procedures. Going off the top of my head, the hanger deck could be anywhere between 140 to 160 ft. Assuming a ratio deco using a 21/35 mix at 150ft w/doubles, I would be able to explore the hanger bay for about 25 minutes with another 25 minutes of deco. The bridge would be a nice distraction during the deco until a hurricane takes it off.

But alas, the ex-USS Oriskany is in Florida and I am in Hawaii... If only we can convince the Navy to sink the newly decomed ex-USS Belau Wood...

chickdiver:
Come to the darkside..... we have cookies!

I was told there would be pie.

:06:

We went by the Mighty "O" (which is tied up at NAS Pensacola) on our way out to some inshore wrecks yesterday. There are several huge openings all the way through her hull -- from one side to the other. The hanger deck is open on both sides. There are a lot of holes cut into her side almost down to the water line.

This doesn't mean it will safe to penetrate under the fight deck. She's about as wide as she is tall, and even though you can see light coming from the other side doesn't mean you'll make it through without running out of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom