USS ORISKANY? Meeting on Jan 10? What happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
Meeting was scheduled for Jan 10th. Anyone go or here what happened? My vaca plans this year depend on the outcome of that meeting. I must dive that wreck if it hits the sand this year!!! I tried contacting one of the dive operaters in Pensicola last month and they wouldn't take booking in advance for it until it's on the bottom. Anyone know any ops down there who are? Do you know of any liveaboards who may be thinking of hooking up to one of the moring balls and not moving for a week. I have a few buddies who would sign up today. Thank you for those in the know. Sid

The basic jist is that there was overwelming support shown. The public comment period goes until Jan 19th, and the EPA will make it's report after that. The navy is doing what they can to prep the Oriskany while it's in Texas, but they are fairly limited by what they can do at this point and still maintain the structural integrity.

If/When the EPA grants approval, the Navy will make a decision based on estimates on how long it will take to get it down. The timeframe should be about 3 months of work including towing, finishing and sinking. If they aren't extremely confident that they will have enough time to get it done and sunk by June 1st, they won't be bringing it back from Texas, since the last thing that they want to do is tow it back to Pensacola, then send it to Texas again for another hurricane season.

Given that, I wouldn't bother trying to inquire about booking until she's under tow, since once that occurs people will be more confident that it's going to happen, and happen by June 1st. I don't know of any liveaboards, and I doubt that there will be any in the near future. Everything is mostly smaller dive/fishing boats. Who knows what the future will bring when she goes down and becomes a popular destination.

As a reminder:

The public comment period ends on January 19th. Comments and questions can be sent to Craig Brown. Snail mail needs to be postmarked by 1/19, e-mail sent by midnight 1/19.

Craig Brown
US. EPA Region 4
Atlanta Federal Center
61 Forsyth Street, S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 562-8990
FAX: (404) 562-8972
brown.craig@epa.gov

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom