USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did a one tank afternoon dive on the Kittiwake yesterday. We booked the dive through Ocean Frontiers, who chartered a boat but Ocean Frontiers staff lead the dive. I will admit I'm not a huge wreck dive fan. I did throughly enjoy our 2 tank dive on the RMS Rhone near Tortola a few years back as our Divemaster was a historian on the wreck.

That being said, I enjoyed diving the Kittiwake. She is one big ship, that's for sure. We got to see the resident barracuda, and quite a few small fish and shrimp have already made it their home. There was a huge school of fish near the wreck and the Ocean Frontiers photographer got some great shots. Lots of swim throughs including the bridge. I will try and post a few pictures once I have some time to edit them.

Dove the Kittiwake 10 days after her sinking with Divetech and had a great time with good people up and under the water. I took two friends with me and took many pics. The ship was to be sunk in 65' of water but landed in 55', which put her 3' from the surface. Water clearity was great! I saw sting rays near her. I would like to dive her again in a couple years to compare dives. Thank-you Divetech.

We did a two tank with Wall to Wall on Thursday the 13th. First dive was Sand Slope and second dive was the Kittiwake. There are some fish already starting to make it home and it will eventually be a very cool dive. The Department of Environment ordered it to be sunk in shallower water then planned so I hope it doesn't break apart when Mother Nature sends the first good storm through.

I wonder if any of the divers noticed my dad's plaque? He was the diving officer, and it is in that area, near the decompression chamber.

Dad's plaque installed.jpg

Bill, I'm sure those stats are on the website, but I am not sure. While we were diving it, a few snorkelers were there from shore. It would be a very long snorkel and if you tried, I would highly advise wearing a snorkel vest.

Sorrows, I did see your Dad's plaque. God Bless him.
If you do plan on trying that long snorkel/ dive/swim out please also bring along a dive flag... it is very, very difficult to see snorkelers/divers in the water while driving a boat. And it is a looong swim... we picked up a couple of snorkelers that almost made it to the wreck but were done in and asked for a ride in to shore... don't forget that you need to swim back, too! Better to pay see it from a boat.

Back
Top Bottom