USS Hatteras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to dive this spot. It would make for a great historical dive. How would you go about getting there? Any Ideas? Just wondering if the government will let you dive there.

Sounds interesting, but that's a long boat run for a charter operator for a boat that's covered compeletly in sand. I imagine they can't make a profit on this trip. A 20 mile trip I'd guess would be an almost all day affair and run $125 to $165 per diver, if they could fill up the boat. That and not all "day charters" coast guard license or insurance allows them to go out that far.

From the web page:
The Hatteras today rests in 58 feet of water about 20 miles off Galveston. Her 210-foot long iron hull is completely buried under about three feet of sand. Only the remains of her 500-horsepower walking beam steam engine and her two iron paddle wheels remain exposed above the sea floor

I have my own boat so I don't see any probably get to the site. I make alot longer trips than this fishing thru out the summer all the time. I was just wanting to know if any one has dove there and if there was still anything worth seeing.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

"Only the remains of her 500-horsepower walking beam steam engine and her two iron paddle wheels remain exposed above the sea floor"

I wonder if there are any fish that have made this site their home? Gosh if you have a boat and you want to make the trip maybe there is something living on it as an artifical reef? If not is there a close by oil rig that you can dive on, as a backup plan? I don't really know anything about this site, just thought I would throw out a couple of "John Stossel" questions....

It might be worth the dive even if just to say you did it. 60 feet would not be that much of a dive. It looks like it may be a good learning expierence for Gulf Diving. The first question would be if the government would allow recreational diving on the site.

dwwest101:
I would like to dive this spot. It would make for a great historical dive. How would you go about getting there? Any Ideas? Just wondering if the government will let you dive there.

The Hatteras is in deed pretty much under sand and silt. It is also under the Texas Antiquities control and is considered a Historical wreck site. Yes fishermen quite often fish it but have not heard of any divers lately diving the site. The exact location can be hard to find in that very little of the boat is exposed above the bottom. The visibility can often be less than 5' and it is right inside a shipping lane. North bound ships headed for Galveston come real close to the wreck site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom