USS Bluegill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just reading the story of this submarine on Ed Robinsons site USS Bluegill (SS-242) - Wreck Diving off Maui

Anyone here on the board remember diving it in the past? Any word yet where it got moved to or why it needed moving? seems sad to have lost such a beautiful vessel to the deep(er).

I'm guessing if it's within 400fsw you'd like to try diving it :wink:

Maui has so few wrecks, this was the most amazing of them that I've heard of, that's why it's so sad that it's out of reach/knowledge now.

I heard a rumour today that there is a group trying to get a couple old navy boats to sink via the ships-to-reefs program... apparently the area around the St. Anthony is allocated for more artificial reef (like 90 acres of it) that this would fall into.

Aloha
From what I have read, it became an attractive problem. Too many recreational divers got bent diving the wreck. The conning tower was at 120 feet. the Navy raised and sank it it in 3000 feet of water. Solved all the lawsuits.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

Thx Roger - so once again the failure to take accountability for ones own actions cost all of us a great resource :( bummer... and 3000 feet makes it a wee bit innacessible doesn't it?

I was hoping it might still be within the 400 foot range (still MUCH too far for me, but others do those kinds of depths)

Aloha, Tim

The Navy should of moved it to shallower water. O well an awesome dive site lost forever:(.
Therein lies the trouble with un-natural wrecks.

The shallowest point must be deeper than ~40' so as to not be termed a navigational hazard... but the deepest point must be no deeper than 130' so as to not exceed the recreational limits (and present liability issues).

There are many exceptions to this, but I'm pretty sure those are two very strong conditions that are looked at. So... how many naval ships fit into this 90' window from keel to highest point?

Add to that... they need to either be locked down tight (so as to not have any penetration) or to be wide open (so penetration doesn't create any "confined" risks)...

Sigh -- I guess now we get to blame the lawyers for this situation. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom