Using UW strobes as an optical trigger for topside speedlites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdcol

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody had any luck synching UW strobes with speedlites? In my case I'm using a canon 7d in a nauticam housing with inon z240 type 4 strobes and have canon ex580 and godox v860iii speedlites. Is there a way to get the strobes to also trigger the speedlites when shooting over/under a? TIA

You might have an issue using underwater strobe out of the water. They normally have a high heat load depending to the intensity of the output where in water the water acts as a heat sink. Seen a couple of strobe where the internal circuit boards were cooked from using out of the water. Also seen flash tubes cracked.

At low rep rates, you should have no issues. I use the Z330 for shooting water drops on land with no issues.
Bill

Is there a way to get the strobes to also trigger the speedlites
Don't know about godox, but for Canon speedlites the answer as far as I know is: "No".
But if you're shooting topside, why not just trigger all the flash units from the camera? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're after...

With your camera out of the housing the Canon (and compatible) flashes will "see" the IR transmitter in the camera's pop-up flash and work normally. Then DIY a way to hold the end of the strobes' optical cables near the pop-up flash (which is what happens when the camera is in the housing). Just be careful not to block the pop-up flash's IR transmitter.

Additional unnecessary detail:
Unlike your strobes, Canon 580 series speedlites are not (remotely) triggered by visible light. They trigger when they receive a coded infrared signal sent by a Canon compatible transmitter - from either a camera's pop-up flash (some models, like your 7D), another compatible speedlite, or a transmitter module. That's why the speedlites have that red plastic area - that's where the IR transmitter/receiver lives. The message encodes info like the channel number, the exposure level, etc. To trigger, it has to receive a properly encoded message, decode it, and confirm it's for the right channel number. Your strobes (all UW strobes) are not transmitting this IR signal.

Hope this helps, but as I said earlier, maybe I'm not answering what you're asking ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom